The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Professional
Mark Brewer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 2:01 pm    

Hey everyone. I am brand new to this forum and I am not a steel guitar player but have a studio in which I have bought a steel guitar for others to use and for me to pick around on.
It is ,as far as I know, a late 60' early 70's Fender Sho-Bud Professional.
I have decided I want to either sell it or trade it for a single neck.
It is in very good condition.
Need advise.
How do I know the year?
How do I know what to ask for it?
How the heck do you ship these monsters?

It is not set up like a normal one would be according to the steel player in my band.
The E9 neck is set up a little different than Buddy Emmons style but the C6 is set up correctly.
It does however have extra rods in the case.

Thanks for any advise
Mark Brewer

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 5:25 pm    

Hi Mark,
Suggest you post a few photos to help ID your steel. Good luck with a trade or sell…Carl

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 5:31 pm    

Serial numbers (stamped on the undercarriage) can be estimated from this thread.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com//viewtopic.php?t=166611

Or, for dating or ANYTHING having to do with Sho-Bud, contact SGF member Ricky Davis.

As to price, I have a dandy one that's been on consignment with Jim Palenscar's Steel Guitars of North County (Oceanside CA) for mid-$2000s. It's been
a couple of months, but we're hoping the right new owner will find his or her Forever Bud.

Good luck with yours. (I'm only selling mine due to disablement of my left foot; it looks and sounds gorgeous.)

Mark Brewer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 11:09 am    

Hey guys! Thanks for the advise. I will put some pics on here soon. Likely just list it for sale.
I looked on the how to ship on this site.
My question on shipping, when I list it do I add for shipping and will UPS take something that heavy?
I don't even want to carry it, I can't imagine and over worked under paid UPS driver is going to take to good of care of it

Mark Brewer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 8:17 am    

Mark Brewer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 8:18 am    

Mark Brewer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 8:19 am    

Mark Brewer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 8:21 am    

I have added a few pics
think they are to large but you can see he serial number and condition.
Still curious about shipping cost.
Do I add that to my price or work it out with buyer?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 6:22 pm    

You have a one of the last built "The Professional". December 1973 was when it was built; during the first year inception of the Emerald Green Sho~bud LDG Model; so any and every sho-bud they built during the first year of LDG(May 1973-May 1974); they added green tint to the undercarriage Spry texture; so that's why it's green underneath and not White.
Hard to say how much is it worth; as it is worth as much as someone will pay for it. Lately; this Rack and Barrel Sho~bud Professional with 8 pedals and 4 knee levers have been selling between 1800.00 to 2000.00 all depending how much restoration/Set up...etc has been done underneath.
I'm a Fedex member and I have been shipping with every company known for over 25 years; but ONLY ship with Fedex now. Pack the guitar in the case with small bubble wrap laid down the put guitar in and more pad at switch endplate and bubble wrap pedal bar and then over the undercarriage..and brace the ends of the partition where pedal bar and legs/rods go so it doesn't collaps....so make sure NOTHING inside case moves at ALL!!!..then close case. I get two "Lamp Boxes" from Uhal and cut open and lay down and roll case up in box and cut slot for handle to stick out...then packing tape up and then do another box the exact same way. I invoice online and print and then take the box to Fedex shipping and really for a 75 pound box measuring 41x8x15 ships for around 100 bux.
FEDEX LOVEs that we leave the handle out for carrying(many drivers told me) UPS...USPS..etc doesn't; as they are worried about breaking the handle; when they throw it off the truck or drop it off the dolly..or...etc...idiots....But fedex uses the handle and I've gotten and shipped so far, at least 50 steels with NOT ONE DENT ON THE BOX ANYWHERE shipping Fedex.....geeeeze I wonder why??ha....LOL..
Ok have fun.
Ricky

John Castelletti

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 7:22 pm    

I can not possibly recommend Ricky Davis enough. I just got my steel back from him this weekend and it plays and sounds unbelievable. There is no greater living repository of Sho-Bud history and knowledge than this man, and he's a heck of a nice guy to boot!

Mark Brewer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2021 5:24 am    

Hey Ricky!!
Thanks a million for the advise.
i am interested in trading for a single neck also if you know of anyone that wants to trade.
Thanks again
Mark

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2021 8:24 am    

Thank you John; it was my pleasure and love making Old play like New.
Mark; I rarely get guys inquiring to me about buy or selling a shobud they have or want; since I ONLY work on and restore/refirbish Sho~bud and is now the only inquiring I get. Make sure you put on your Ad; that you are looking to Trade for Single-10 also...and any ad you have.
Just saw Gary has something he's looking to trade and is one of the go-to builders these days>
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=372108
Ricky