The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ProFex II Cache Card "Initialize"
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 11:31 am    

OK guys,

I need to know how to initialize a new cache card and load the programs from my ProFex II, Please?
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 5:32 pm     Card

Insert the card with the small metal cover down. The metal cover is inserted first into the card slot. The cover protects the small connections on the card’s edge. This cover slides back as the card is inserted to expose the small metal connections on the card. It will snap into place when inserted correctly.
Note: The RAM Cartridge menus are accessed through the Global button Initializing a new card:
Initializing a new cartridge: A new cartridge (or one that has had the battery replaced) must be initialized for use with a Profex 2, Transtubefex or Tubefex. To do this, select the CART menu. Place the cursor under IN for initialize. And press the Store/Exec button.
WARNING: INITIALIZING THE RAM CARTRIDGE WILL OVERWRITE ALL CURRENT DATA ON THE CARD WITH THE USER PRESETS.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 4:28 am    

Thank you Ken.

I have never worked with a ProFex II before, but I am loving one that I inherited.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 5:05 am     Profex 2

They are great for sure. Just make sure it does not have a leaking battery. It can ruin one really fast

Also when you load the card it may say cartridge write protected. There is a small switch on the back of the card you can toggle to allow the card to be initialized

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 7:40 am    

Thank you sir. Yep Jimmy at pV just went through the unit and put a new battery in I got it all working great. I have a loaded card but I got a spare and did not have a clue how to initialize it and load the programs on it.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 8:12 am    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
Thank you sir. Yep Jimmy at pV just went through the unit and put a new battery in I got it all working great. I have a loaded card but I got a spare and did not have a clue how to initialize it and load the programs on it.

I'm not sure if that "Spare" card had programs in it or not... It may have, and if it did, there would have been one from Jim Lindsey and a couple Gary Hogue ones as well. But I can't say for sure.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 8:19 am    

Dale.
Nope it is empty.

Thank you

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 9:43 am    

So are there no steel settings on the Profex at this time? If so it will load those to the card when you initialize them card. Basically it loads whatever is in the user settings when you initialize

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 12:47 pm    

Got it and it worked.
YeeHaw

I already had a loaded Cache Card that I have mailed back and forth to a few people. But sooner or later it might come up missing or damaged, so Dale Rottacker was kind enough to give me one that he did not need.

So now, I can help fellow steelers load the Newman settings and not have to worry so much.

Thanks all of you, well Dale and Ken.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 10:44 am    

Good job, Bill. Just keep an eye on that battery. Have not met one yet that did not eventually leak

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 12:33 pm    

Yep, but since it is a new battery, it will probably last my lifetime.
What is the alternative?

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 4:20 pm     Mod

Battery less memory. I’ve sold over 15,000 of them over the years

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2021 2:34 am    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
Yep, but since it is a new battery, it will probably last my lifetime.
What is the alternative?

Bill I very highly recommended sending it to Ken and get the battery-less mod installed. Those batteries are notorious for leaking and they can absolutely ruin the electronics inside making the Profex unrepairable. Seeing as they are becoming an “endangered species” it would be, in my humble opinion, worth the extra investment having Ken put that mod in to help ensure a lifetime of trouble free use.
And if you have Dale’s Profex settings try the “Sword Druid” setting of Jim Lindsey’s it is my absolute favorite.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2021 2:36 am     Re: Mod

Ken Fox wrote:
Battery less memory. I’ve sold over 15,000 of them over the years

And Ken,
Thanks for all you do helping us players out. Can’t begin to express how much it is appreciated, sir.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2021 5:12 am    

Thanks Patrick.

I don't have Dale's settings. The card was empty.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 6:04 am    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
Thanks Patrick.

Bill, if you want to send it to me I can initialize it on my Profex and give you those and mail it back or I can mail you my card.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 6:06 am    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
Thanks Patrick.

Bill,
Mine has all the Newman stuff plus the Jim Lindsey and Gary Hoage stuff plus a few Junior Knight put on there as well.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 4:14 pm    

I just programmed 40 battery less memory chips with steel settings. All you have to do is turn off the Profex, open the top lid, wiggle the battery back and forth to break it off the circuit board, unplug the old memory chip and plug in the new one.

Done deal. No reinitialization needed. The chips hold the memory and are just plug and play

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 5:55 am    

Ken, please email me your phone #.
bferguson1947@gmail.com

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 11:13 am    

As Ken said, keep an eye on the battery for leaking as I did the battery less mod from Ken on the ProFex but now the unit after sitting a bit powers on and display but I'm not able to program it so think the battery, although removed continued leaking on board trace.