The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Tone Block 202
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 6:00 am    

I took a chance and ordered a TB202 to try. I bought a Quilter 101 Mini head a few years ago and really liked it for Tele.

I am playing a Zum SD-12 Uni through the TB (vintage mode) into a Telonics Neo 15" in a Tommy Huff cab. I couldn't be happier. It took me only an hour or so at home to dial in what I thought was a good tone with an old Eminence speaker. We had an outdoor gig this past Saturday and I only had to tweak a little for the Telonics speaker. I had a great sound FOH going direct out XLR.

Really good separation on the lower strings of the Uni. Part of that I suspect is because of the Telonics X-12. The highs were silky and not harsh but cut through the mix well. I had the mid and treble almost off and the bass at about 3-4 O'clock.

I am most impressed with the limiter. I found with the limiter completely off I had a slight rumble or growl coming from the low B string (.068) with the Gain at 3 O'clock and Master at 2 O'clock . This also was apparent on the low E as well just not as much. I tweaked the limiter and found I could completely eliminate the growl but too much, beyond 12 O'clock gave a a squashed compressed sound. I settled on about 10 O'clock. I noted almost no effect in the higher registers.

I'm not loading the old standby NV400 head in the trailer anymore. At 3.3 Lbs. and great tone along with very flexible tone shaping and direct outs I have found, at least for me a keeper.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 6:42 am    

I have been playing through a Tone Block 202 for some time. Using a TT12 speaker in a closed back cabinet.
I have found the same as you about the limiter, most of the time it is at 9 o'clock. I reduce the amount of mids to 0 to 2 clicks. However, I have found the secret to the amp is run the master wide open and adjust the level of volume with the gain control. You will get more out of the amp without being too loud. The proper way to set an amp is everything wide open and dial back the sounds you don't like. I think Paul Franklin taught that in one of his sessions.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 7:18 am    

I have the Travis Toy 12 combo. I don't use the limiter.
No "growl" on the low string on C6th.

My EQ is Bass at 12 O'clock and the Mid and Treble two clicks left from straight up. Voice Full Q.

Regular guitar cables. I was using George L's cables but had too many highs (and couldn't "tame" them). Regular cables and I found my sound in two minutes.

Best sounding steel amp since the 70's when I was using a Fender Twin Reverb.