The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Certano versus Multibender Palm Levers
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 1:28 pm    

I don't know whether this post should be in Pedal Steel or Non-Pedal.

I've had experience with Duesenberg MultiBenders on both Lap Steel and Resonator. How does the Certano unit compare?
It looks as though the Certano unit has three tuning positions like the Hipshot Trilogy, on those strings that you attach to the palm levers, so you could use the palm levers to both raise and lower a string. Is that so?

Since the unit is fairly narrow, could you put two Certano units on the same lap steel?

On the example videos I've seen on YouTube, he's keeping the same bridge and nut. I would have thought that, on any mechanism designed to alter the tension of strings, a roller bridge would be necessary to avoid breaking strings, and a roller nut would be necessary to ensure that the strings regain their original tension when you release the levers.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 6:05 pm    

I just installed a Certano bender on my lap steel, raising the second and third string. It is raise-only, no lowering.

If you look closely at the photos each bender arm has three allen-wrench nuts. The nut that is furthest away from the bridge (behind the axle) tunes the unaffected string and sets the nominal height for the bender lever. The middle nut (ahead of the axle) tunes the string raise. The third nut is where you rotate the bender lever to a comfortable position, and lock it down. While the unit operates smoothly and stays in tune, it's still awkward for me to use wrist/palm to actuate.

I started with the D-over-G tuning (GBDF#AD) that becomes a high-bass G tuning with levers down. I've already found that a D6 works better for me (ABDF#AD)

Without roller nut or bridge, the guitar returns to tune pretty well. I haven't played it enough to break a string yet.

Last edited by D Schubert on 25 Apr 2021 6:13 pm; edited 3 times in total

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 6:09 pm    

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 7:56 pm    

It is well designed, well machined and has a small footprint. Worth buying.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Jeremy King

Rochelle, GA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 9:42 am    

I love my Certano Bender. I have it on a Morrell Lap Steel. Stays in tune surprisingly well. I like its small size too. It could easily fit on most lap steels.

James Knox

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 12:48 pm    

I just installed my new Certano Bender a couple days ago. After playing it for awhile, I made some height adjustments and really enjoying it right now. I’m tuned to Open E.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 3:15 pm    

How much space do you need between the back of the bridge and the butt to mount the Certano Bender?

James Knox

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 4:09 pm    

These Gstyle Laps have about 1 & 1/2” from the back edge of the Bridge and the butt of the guitar body.

David Becker

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 5:54 pm    

D Schubert - it looks like you are bending both strings 1 & 2 with the first lever and string 3 with the second lever. True? Very clever. How much raise are you doing with each lever?

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 6:36 pm    

I’m pretty sure that he’s not bending the first string. The mirror finish just makes it look like two strings on one lever. By the way, here’s my Certano , plus an old but very functional Rowe Stringtone(for G,D+Bm) on this old Supro. The front neck is tuned, lo to hi - DGABDG for the screaming high notes when I need them.

Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

David Becker

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 6:27 am    

I think you are right, Kevin. The break angle of string #1 over the bridge looks to sharp for the string to be attached to the Certano, and I can see the string windings on string 1 as well. Thanks for the clarification. What a cool optical illusion, though. And it made me think about the possibility of bending more than one string with a Certano lever, although it seems like it would take a lot of pressure to do it, especially for a full step raise.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 7:04 am    

David Becker, I'm not that clever. It's just the photo angle, I guess. Second string raised whole step, third string raised 1/2 step.

As I continue to tinker with the bender, I've lowered the palm levers to the point that they almost touch the strings. I've gone to lighter gage strings, so there is less "resistance" against my right hand when I push.

I started out with GBDF#AD tuning, one of the most recommended tunings. As of yesterday, I'm using BDEG#BE and E9th steel guitar string gages. So I can visualize the "A" pedal under my palm, and the "B" pedal closer to my wrist.

Since I already play E9th and B-bender guitar, and I'm a slow learner, I think this will help to have the same "A" lever on all three instruments.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 7:05 am    

K Maul, I love what you've done with that Supro!

Avi Bortnick

New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2021 12:35 pm    

Has anyone had issues with string breakage when using the Certano and a non-roller bridge?
Thanks all for the info.

Jerry Wagner

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 10:14 am    

If you go to David Certano's website, you'll find that he now has both 6 & 8-string roller bridges for sale.
https://certano.fr/

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2021 6:27 am    

I installed the Certano bender on my new lapsteel build. I also installed a Certano roller bridge. Both are excellent quality. I think it is important to use slightly lighter strings on the strings attached to the benders. If you use the same gauges that you used before installing the bender, you will be increasing the tension perhaps beyond the breaking point. I use a spreadsheet that I found on the web a few years ago and which I modified for my needs to calculate the string gauges.

Karlis

Tom Hodges

New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2021 10:43 am    

K Maul wrote:
I’m pretty sure that he’s not bending the first string. The mirror finish just makes it look like two strings on one lever. By the way, here’s my Certano , plus an old but very functional Rowe Stringtone(for G,D+Bm) on this old Supro. The front neck is tuned, lo to hi - DGABDG for the screaming high notes when I need them.

Hey Kevin,
I like the bender set up on your Supro. I have a 50's Oahu with the same string through pick up and plate set up. Looking at the benders in your photo, is that the standard height bender or the "Low" tele style? The bridge on my Oahu is only about 5/8" in height.