The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  new player new owner of a 10string
Stephen Kirwin

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 5:54 am    

hello eh, I am a long time guitar player.singer songwriter. I have a home studio for my recording ambitions. I have for the last few years been working on my slide guitar with a gretsch bobtail resonator and recently a wiessenborn style lap guitar. so much fun
but recently a friend gave me his old lapsteel to work on since he doesn't have the patience for getting things done on it so here I am.
I will post pictures once I set that up...
so I finally found a simple guide to tuning on YouTube.. someone playing each note thankyou..and now I am putting together the pedals...broke the high string tuning to wrong note ugh...

there are three pedals..and a fourth..but I can't see the need for it....is it possible to need a fourth.....
I know pictures will help
I am looking forward to this next sliding adventure and discussions here...I must say it is a weird machine but I love the sound...I will post a link to my slide videos I have made so far...I'm renovating my studio so a bit of a mess will get this done soon.
so hello and more soon

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 6:13 am    

Lap steel? Or pedal steel? They are different.

Stephen, you will help the gang making suggestions here if you say what brand of steel it is and how many knee levers are on it. Yes, pics will help.

And you'd do well at this basic stage of playing to locate a teacher. He or she will help with tuning, strings, picks, bar: the basics.

Good luck; have fun. Chris

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 6:41 am     Re: new player new owner of a 10string

Stephen Kirwin wrote:
hello eh, I am a long time guitar player.singer songwriter. I have a home studio for my recording ambitions. I have for the last few years been working on my slide guitar with a gretsch bobtail resonator and recently a wiessenborn style lap guitar. so much fun
but recently a friend gave me his old lapsteel to work on since he doesn't have the patience for getting things done on it so here I am.
I will post pictures once I set that up...
so I finally found a simple guide to tuning on YouTube.. someone playing each note thankyou..and now I am putting together the pedals...broke the high string tuning to wrong note ugh...

there are three pedals..and a fourth..but I can't see the need for it....is it possible to need a fourth.....
I know pictures will help
I am looking forward to this next sliding adventure and discussions here...I must say it is a weird machine but I love the sound...I will post a link to my slide videos I have made so far...I'm renovating my studio so a bit of a mess will get this done soon.
so hello and more soon

What is considered the "standard" setup is usually 3 pedals, but as a player gets better and starts to understand the instrument, they add more changes (pedals and levers) for their particular style. Just consider it a bonus to have an extra pedal.

Stephen Kirwin

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 6:59 am    

https://instagram.com/stories/homestudioguy/2624224625658021044?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=share_sheet

Stephen Kirwin

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 7:09 am    

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRrJGsHrCC2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Stephen Kirwin

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 7:11 am    

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRrJGsHrCC2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Stephen Kirwin

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 7:21 am    

well then sorry for the first photo hah...instagram isnt my regular thing.
a couple of questions?
yes I probably will need a teacher but to get me started I wonder....
so who has the best intro to the steel YouTube site?

the pedals.... hook into the top then slot together into the bottom for the pedal is it best to attach the pedals to the frame first or after attaching the rods???

I broke the first string and I can replace it with a regular electric guitar string high e its a light gage e.010 I believe I also have a .13 b or .17 gage g string... what would be best....

amp choice..I own a fishman acoustic amp or a fender Princeton what would be your choice to play through???

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 7:42 am    

The first string is an F#, typically .013

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 12:23 pm    

Quote:
there are three pedals..and a fourth..but I can't see the need for it....is it possible to need a fourth....

I once owned a "Little Buddy" like yours. It had 3 pedals and one knee lever (which I don't see on yours). There was a 4th pedal on the far right, connected to a volume pot which was mounted under the body. My guess is that's what your extra pedal is for. It was much more awkward than a stand-alone volume pedal, and would be in the way if you chose to use one. That's probably why it's been disconnected, and my advise would be to leave it that way.

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 3:51 pm    

I would say get yourself the Winnie Winston book. It's got a lot of the basics like setup and all that.

Get acquainted with the search function here on the Forum, too. Alot of basic information about string gauges, copedent, etc... can be found.

Stephen Kirwin

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2021 3:43 am     new player new owner of a 10string

little buddy yah okay I see that is right...ah the fourth as a volume pedal interesting.
from my first days with this I must say once I found the home chord for me I was having more fun.i have been playing through my Fishman amp and it sounds great.
my son asked me to stop playing sponge Bob music hah.. the strings are closer together then on my weissenborn so its a adjustment but I'm getting there....my next goal is to play Neil Young tunes...
what is a good volume pedal you might suggest.