The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  receiving a steel shipped UPS- open it in front of carrier?
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2021 6:54 pm    

I'm receiving a pedal steel this week shipped via UPS. Is it common practice to open it and inspect before the driver leaves? If I do find damage, will it make any difference? Are they used to people inspecting the goods before signing for it?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 1:41 am    

It is your right to open it in front of them if you suspect damage. Problem is that these days they just drop the package at your door and run, especially the damaged packages. They don't even knock on my door.

Good luck, but unless there is visible damage to the package, but damage inside, it will be hard to prove THEY did it and that it wasn't damaged before it was packed. I take pictures during my packing from start to finish, just in case (no pun intended).

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 3:19 am    

Not totally sure but I always thought with items of value UPS requires a signature? Maybe not.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 4:25 am    

John, not sure about UPS, but FedEx left a steel in front of my garage door and never rang my doorbell. I wasn't aware till getting a text on delivery. That was January 2021. Luckily no damage.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 5:23 am    

A shipper has to request a signature. In that case, they have to wait until you sign or they will leave you a note for another delivery attempt or an option to pick up your item at the depot.

Getting them to wait while you open and inspect the package all while they're stamping and wiggling to get moving is another thing.

Yes, it used to be a common thing. If you found damage the driver would make note of it. I don't know about now. I suspect they would just tell you to file a claim in the event they waited around.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 5:35 am    

Since COVID, neither UPS nor FEDEX have allowed me to sign anything. They just leave the package and go.I have a lot of experience shipping custom fishing rod, in including overseas as well. SOMETIMES the driver will mention the package is damaged and wait for the recipient to check it's contents but not very often and not since COVID. Until as late as yesterday day, for sure UPS, just did a drop and run on a package that was supposed to be signed for. All that said, I've shipped over 500 custom fishing rod with two damage claims. Both claims were UPS and they settled both after a relatively long period of time. I've never experienced an issue with shipping guitars or other gear.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 5:58 am    

Perhaps, but it's still stated on their website that in the case of signature required, a signature is needed and there's nothing noted about suspending that due to covid.

However, they may use the virus situation to circumvent that along with any other element that causes them inconvenience.

It may depend on your area and your driver as well. I have no contact problems with my driver[s] pickups and deliveries....we just give each other lots of space.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 6:23 am    

Have someone roll the video on your phone as you are opening it, then you have the opening procedure on cam, it's just easier to prove that you did not drop it after you got it out.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 6:29 am    

Pictures and videos per Richard and Larry are indisputable. Great ideas...I do that too...still doesn't guarantee you a successful claim but does give you documentation.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 7:24 am    

John Palumbo wrote:
Not totally sure but I always thought with items of value UPS requires a signature? Maybe not.

Only if the shipper requests a signature. Things aren't like they used to be in the shipping world. With the heavy increase in items shipped (thanks to online shopping) , the carriers have abandoned the practice of knocking on your door and having you sign for packages. This way they can get more deliveries and pickups made in a day with no or less overtime.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 7:28 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Perhaps, but it's still stated on their website that in the case of signature required, a signature is needed and there's nothing noted about suspending that due to covid.

However, they may use the virus situation to circumvent that along with any other element that causes them inconvenience.

It may depend on your area and your driver as well. I have no contact problems with my driver[s] pickups and deliveries....we just give each other lots of space.

I just had a few deliveries where signature was required and the driver just asked me my name and he signed. Knowing how shady shipping companies are, I'm sure they sign many without any contact with the receiver.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 7:43 am    

Double post deleted

Last edited by James Sission on 19 Jul 2021 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 7:48 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Jerry Overstreet wrote:

I just had a few deliveries where signature was required and the driver just asked me my name and he signed. Knowing how shady shipping companies are, I'm sure they sign many without any contact with the receiver.

That's standard practice now Richard,they stopped handing me the tablet for a signature over a year ago. Even if you don't answer the door, they won't leave a second delivery attempt notice like they used too, they just leave the package. I see the notation on my account where the driver notes where he left it.

They all suspended signatures but UPS has a notice that they are now securing signatures again as of June 28th. My driver doesn't, but I do seem to be getting my delivers. Here's what UPS posted.

While UPS's Signature Required and Adult Signature Required guidelines were temporarily adjusted, the procedure of obtaining a physical signature for applicable shipments has been reinstated in the U.S. as of June 28, 2021.

The COVID-19 procedures for signature services on export and international packages outside of the U.S. will remain in place until further notice

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 12:19 pm    

Quote:
Is it common practice to open it and inspect before the driver leaves?

No. The driver doesn't have time - and can't do anything.

I've probably received a thousand packages via UPS, FedEx, USPS, Airborne etc and the ONLY time I have opened them with the driver there was in the case of severe damage, like holes punched THROUGH the box.

But a driver can't do anything but file a report on their handheld...

...and if they do that, DO NOT open the package. Have it opened by the inspector. Which means you wait.

Opening it with the driver there is a complete waste of time. The best thing to do with valuable items is to take pictures of the package (damaged or not) and a few as you open it. But not with the driver there.

They're on schedules, and have about 90 seconds to spend with you. They can't wait to watch you open the thing - and can't do anything anyway.

And if the package was insured pictures of the packaging are all you need.

Also - out of the thousand or so packages I've received I've had FOUR damaged - and 3 were noted by UPS before delivery and things already in motion. the other was a terrible packing job by the shipper. UPS (the carrier) had no fault and was not involved - I had to fight it out with the seller who also didn't insure it. But I paid by Paypal so I was able to be reimbursed.

For private sales ALWAYS use Paypal - never a check, money order or cashier's check. Otherwise you have no recourse other than small claims court.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 12:23 pm    

Jim Sliff wrote:
Quote:
Is it common practice to open it and inspect before the driver leaves?

No. The driver doesn't have time - and can't do anything.

I've probably received a thousand packages via UPS, FedEx, USPS, Airborne etc and the ONLY time I have opened them with the driver there was in the case of severe damage, like holes punched THROUGH the box.

But a driver can't do anything but file a report on their handheld...

...and if they do that, DO NOT open the package. Have it opened by the inspector. Which means you wait.

Opening it with the driver there is a complete waste of time. The best thing to do with valuable items is to take pictures of the package (damaged or not) and a few as you open it. But not with the driver there.

They're on schedules, and have about 90 seconds to spend with you. They can't wait to watch you open the thing - and can't do anything anyway.

And if the package was insured pictures of the packaging are all you need.

Also - out of the thousand or so packages I've received I've had FOUR damaged - and 3 were noted by UPS before delivery and things already in motion. the other was a terrible packing job by the shipper. UPS (the carrier) had no fault and was not involved - I had to fight it out with the seller who also didn't insure it. But I paid by Paypal so I was able to be reimbursed.

For private sales ALWAYS use Paypal - never a check, money order or cashier's check. Otherwise you have no recourse other than small claims court.

Thanks for that advise. Yeah, I would not enjoy being rushed to open it. I will take pics or video as I do open it, though.
People like to complain about UPS and USPS but I've always had very good luck with them.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 2:31 pm    

I had a Fed-X package delivered last week, small box which contained a Direct TV Receiver unit. I was gone when it came and the driver just left it laying on my driveway in front of my garage. It was raining all around me but he did not care I guess. They all give very bad service today for the money we pay them. I do not know what can be done about this but their needs to be something done. And all their excuses about the Pandemic is B.S., people are just using it as an excuse and not doing their job. They all need to hire more workers I think so they could pick up the slack. J.R.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 4:03 pm    

J.R. could always sign up for a free account which allows you to specify where you want the package left. I have a Rubbermaid trash can that I use for small packages. I just check it off on my account and that's where they leave it. The accounts have a tab that reads "delivery manager" and they have always complied with my requests.

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 2:11 pm    

I got the steel today, and it arrived in perfect shape. It was double boxed and extremely well padded. The seller took it to a UPS store, and they did a fantastic job. I think they used a cubic yard of packing air bag balloons. It is so nice to see a packing job over done rather than the other way!

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 7:11 pm    

Good, a happy ending.

Every week my coworkers have to file freight damage claims with Fedex ground and with UPS maybe a few times/month, and once in awhile with Fedex Express, the drivers are never involved int hat process.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 7:46 pm    

fwiw I usually have fragile items delivered to the local UPS or FedEx Hubs here in Portland, then go there to pick it up at the desk with a Clerk going in the back to get it and bring it out to me.
I have been lucky though, never had a busted up guitar.
I don't know if Greyhound is even still in business since covid, but they used to be a good way to ship Steels.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 7:58 am     Re: receiving a steel shipped UPS- open it in front of...

Lynn Kasdorf wrote:
I'm receiving a pedal steel this week shipped via UPS. Is it common practice to open it and inspect before the driver leaves? If I do find damage, will it make any difference? Are they used to people inspecting the goods before signing for it?

In my experience, no, no, and no.