The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  JBL K130 rating vs. actual use
Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 9:09 am    

Hey, all. Follow up question here pertaining to a Standel C30B w/ two K130's. Speakers appear to have original cones & look new. Should I choose to use this minifridge as a stage amp, what are the odds of me blowing one or both of these (they currently move very easily, no rub detected) if I run bass through it? Amp is labelled as 140W & I believe 130s are rated at 125. Stage volumes won't be crazy- my biggest sonic competition would be two small 12" guitar combos at the other end of the stage. I keep a pretty boring clean tone via P bass.

Thanks,
-Pete

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 9:53 am    

I would think you need a K140 for a bass amp.

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 9:58 am    

I'd think so too, Gary. Purportedly the former owner used these drivers for bass 40 plus years ago. If they don't really work & if there is any substantial risk of frying the voice coils I won't hesitate to swap 'em before trying that. Just wanted to get a feel for what they'll take without doing the trial by fire method.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Jeffrey Maxwell

Amarillo, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 11:15 am    

Bass through the K130's would not be good for them.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 3:26 pm    

I don't think you'd have any problem. First off, the Standel C30B amp only puts out 75 watts. (The 140 watts is power consumption, not audio output power.) Since the cabinet is properly dampened, and since you're using two speakers, each rated at 125 watts RMS, you should be fine. I wouldn't hesitate at all, even though they're not really bass speakers because you're only using them at about a third of their rated capability.