The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Steel King as backline amp
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 3:14 pm    

We’ll be doing a show that will be supplying backline amps. I’m told there is a Steel King available, but I’ve never used one and I’m not at all familiar with them. I would appreciate any comments on starting points or other suggestions for a quick dial-in.

Mike Ritchie

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 3:30 pm    

I am a bedroom player so far, but I have a Steel King and a Nashville 400 and like them both. Most of the time I prefer the Steel King. You do need to crank it up to get the best sound out of it, at least for me.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 5:00 pm    

I seem to recall that this amp was deliberately designed so that tone controls all set to 12 o'clock was a good starting point. I think I found this to be pretty much a good approach. My experience is that the exception is the reverb which should be turned off, period. It is IMO virtually unusable. I would carry an fx pedal reverb.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 7:20 pm    

Use it if it is your only choice, if you have a choice well…

Phone: 971-219-8533

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 5:08 am    

One of my favorite amps. Lots of tonal flexibility and easy to dial in. The factory reverb sucks but can be made to shine with a simple swap in of a $20 MOD reverb tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 5:41 am    

I had one and did not like the reverb. Greg, what is the number for the replacement tank that you used? Thanks

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 9:34 am    

I've played a Mullen pre-RP, a Williams, and a BMI (with different types of pickups) through my Steel King and get a great sound with all the knobs straight up. Sometimes I will add just a touch of bass and maybe cut a little bit of mids, but not much. More often than not I just use the EQ Tilt control to fine tune the sound to the room.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 11:16 am    

Dale, easy fix for the crummy Steel King reverb:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2607228&sid=caac669d50a9fe79b2ed1891644cc95c

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 22 Jul 2021 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 12:13 pm    

Thanks

Jerry Humphries

Jasper, AL.
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2021 7:06 pm     Fender steel king

Jon Light wrote:
I seem to recall that this amp was deliberately designed so that tone controls all set to 12 o'clock was a good starting point. I think I found this to be pretty much a good approach. My experience is that the exception is the reverb which should be turned off, period. It is IMO virtually unusable. I would carry an fx pedal reverb.
I definitely agree about the reverb . I just traded my steel king in for a new Fender twin tone master . I just never could dial a sound in I was happy with . The new fender twin sounds better to me but Im still twisting knobs to try and get close to the way my rack system sounds .