The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Chord and Scale Finder (specifically for steel guitar)
Tom Paronis

New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2021 8:03 am    

Hello All! I've posted to this site before describing my Steel Guitar Chord and Scale Finder and am happy to report that the little product that could is developing some (modest) legs in the marketplace. The free and paid versions (95% of users opt for the free one with ads) have been up and running on the Google and Android platforms for 3-4 months now and feedback from the modest user base has led to some nice new features. Next step is to organize the marketing across all platforms but the current promo material is all still valid. I welcome any and all comments and suggestions. The good news (for me) is that I finally have enough breathing room to start playing with my 8 string lap steel and am wondering if anybody has any suggestions for tweaking the tuning to make it more jazz and blues friendly. I've raised the high C to C# (see diagrams for II-V-I in C) but am interested in hearing from others who have gone down this road.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/chord-and-scale-finder-ii/id1559605139

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tepco.tepcochordscalefinderlibre

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2021 4:49 am    

Suggestion:
When chord "numbers" are represented, they are shown as Roman numerals. I have nothing against this, in fact I think they look fancy and nice. From the video demo the roman numbers look very tiny. Could they also be shown as regular whole numbers kind of like 1, 2m 3m 4 5 . .. I think they would be a little easier to read since they are so small.

Thanks
K

Tom Paronis

New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2021 6:34 am    

Hello Kristen! You've given me some food for thought. I put in the Roman numerals because I wanted to conform with standard music theory but regular numbers have the advantage of being smaller which can be helpful, especially on phones (the app works best on tablets I've found). I'm toying with the notion of having a little pop up the first time the user opens the app where they can set some preferences and that could be one of them. I thought of that because I keep adding new tunings and plan on adding sitar and oud to the mix. However, when showing it to beginning guitarists they are overwhelmed (and a bit intimidated) by all the weird steel tunings so I want to give them the option of starting with just standard guitar and maybe ukulele, bass, Open E etc. I also want to make new videos that reflect the current state of the app. So much to do....however, I appreciate all comments and suggestions and shall never stop trying to improve the app. 😎