The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  favorites
Larry Petree

Bakersfield. Ca. USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 2:37 pm    

Hi Wiz, for many years I had a place at the top of my screen that read favorites. Now they are gone. Can you tell me how to get it back? Thanks, Larry Petree. Lpetree@bak.rr.com or Larrylpetree@aol.com

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 8:44 pm    

What is your computer's operating system make and version?

If memory serves me well, the label "Favorites" usually refers to saved website links in the Microsoft Internet Explorer web browsers (all other browsers call them "bookmarks"). Thus, I am taking a wild guess that you have a "Windows" computer.

No matter what browsers you use, if you had a desktop folder that is no longer visible on your "desktop," it is either hidden, moved, or deleted. If this is a Windows computer, open and check for it in the "Recycle Bin." If you find it in there, right-click on it to highlight it, then left-select "Restore."

If you don't see it in the Recycle Bin, use the Windows Search to try to locate the folder. If you have Windows 10 there should be a search bar on the bottom left, next to the Start Orb. Type in Favorites and hit the Enter key. Go through the results. If the folder appears in the results, right-click on it and select the fly-out option: Create Shortcut. Drag the new shortcut to your desktop and left it go where you want it anchored. Double click on the new shortcut and see if the folder that opens is the one you are looking for. If not, try searching again.

I used to have older versions of Windows that used Internet Explorer and I seem to recall that there was an option in Internet Explorer to Show Favorites On Desktop. One of the results I found with this search gives the following details:

Quote:

Find missing favorites in File Explorer

In Windows 10, old File Explorer favorites are now pinned under Quick access in the left side of File Explorer. If they're not all there, check your old favorites folder (C:\Users\username\Links). When you find one, press and hold (or right-click) it and select Pin to Quick access.

If that doesn't do it, read this article.

Here is an entire page of "Bing" search results for showing the Favorites folder on the Windows desktop.

I hope this helps. I don't use this folder, or Internet Explorer, so I am not the best person to ask about this matter.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 2:11 am    

If it was Internet Explorer, it has been replaced by the "Edge" browser.

Edge imports (or should) the Favorites from Internet Explorer. There is an icon in the upper right corner of Edge to access Favorites.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 6:08 am    

Larry, you might want to read this Microsoft article about Internet Explorer's future (rather, lack thereof).
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog