The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WTT OR WTB GFI Legs & Rods - PLEASE CLOSE
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2021 4:54 am    

DELETED. I bought a new set of legs/rods from GFI.

Last edited by Ken Mizell on 6 Aug 2021 3:36 am; edited 2 times in total

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 18 Jul 2021 3:47 pm     Still interested - again

TTT. A while back, someone offered to swap legs with me, and I didn’t do it at the time. I need to swap, and I lost his contact info. PM me if interested.

I need another inch, and a new set is expensive.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 8:23 am    

Ken, I just got a new GFI as a gift. It was too low. I went to Home Depot and bought some 5/8 × 3 inch course thread bolts and nuts to raise the rear of it that extra inch. They thread right into the rear leg adjuster inserts. I also bought a set from Dwight Lewis that are longer on the way.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 9:13 am     o

Larry - Noted and thanks for the info. I have a response for a set of legs and rods, and waiting to see if they are 1" or 2" over. 2" is too much. I know that GFI sells leg/rod kits, but they aren't cheap. I may have to get them from GFI. At least I fit under the GFI,with maybe 1/16" clearance, and a low volume pedal.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 1:44 pm    

That was my dilemma. I played around with seats and had the back adjusters all way out. Just wasn't enough. You could probably use extensions on the rods but I don't like the look. Hope you get a deal on legs.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 2:34 pm    

Deal on legs didn't work out, at least not yet.

However, I found some smooth finish coupling nuts and proper size all thread screws - like GFI uses - at McMaster-Carr. Like this:

https://www.mcmaster.com/https%3A%2F%2Fwwwmcmastercom%2Fcoupling-nuts%2Fthread-size~5-8-11-1%2Fmaterial~aluminum/thread-size~5-8-11-1/length~1-1-4/

Those are 1 1/4" long, and if I get 1" longer rods from GFI, they will be 1/4 short, and I might run out of threads on the rods. I'm checking with GFI for the exact diameter of the GFI legs.

If all else fails, I'll buy a new set of legs/rods, but I'd rather find a good used set. I just have to get the $$$ together ASAP.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 3:36 pm    

We have an expensive habit. Keeps us spending more and more. Too bad that deal didn't work out. I could make rods and have a tap and dye to thread them for my own use. I'm hoping the stuff I'm getting spares me that.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 5:36 pm    

With these gizmo's, I think I could make the guitar 1 & 1/4" higher, and it still look nice - IF the diameter of the couplers is the same as the legs. I don't have any calipers, so it's hard to get a good measurement on them.

I don't like using pedal rod extenders. A set of 3 new GFI rods is $37.50. The McMaster-Carr hardware is relatively cheap.

These things actually look exactly like what GFI uses in the rear legs, and to mount the legs on the guitar:

https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/set-screws/cup-point-set-screws/thread-size~5-8-11/length~3-1-2/thread-size~5-8-11-1/length~1/

Add those to these, and I'm in business. If they are the same diameter as the legs, I can get out my can of Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish and have them shiny like a mirror in no time.

https://www.mcmaster.com/round-coupling-nuts/round-coupling-nuts/thread-size~5-8-11-1/

Or these...which are aluminum, and can be polished up to match the legs, but they are hex.

https://www.mcmaster.com/coupling-nuts/thread-size~5-8-11-1/material~aluminum/

I still hope someone will come up with a set of 1" longer legs I can buy.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 2:20 am    

FWIW, GFI used two different connectors at the foot pedals. Older GFI's used Ball joint type and a custom designed connector on newer production. My Expo is a 2000 year model and has the older ball joints (I prefer the ball joints).

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 3:21 am    

Jack - Noted and thanks. My GFI was made in Nov. 2018.