The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How D'Ya Do - Lap Steel Guitar
Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 4:47 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbMbxvgZTs
How D'Yo Do played on a Jedson Lap Steel guitar.
B11 tuning. C#D#F#AC#E low to high.
Mostly taken from "16 songs for Lap Steel Guitar" by Doug Beaumier. Doug's Lap Steel Guitar Books have been great for me and are highly recommended.
I hope you all enjoy,
Mike.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 11:12 am    

That was great! Beautiful work on all those harmonics too.

I’ve also added that interesting “sans root” B11 to my lap steel tunings database, https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 2:09 pm    

Didn't Jerry Byrd maybe use that version of B11? Preferred to have the extra lower 9th? I think I recall that in discussion of his version of Sand, anyway.

Nicely done Mike! I love this tune. Some of my favorites...the version on Hawaii Calls: Waikiki!, the splendid vocal version on the Tapa Room Tapes...and I think I also have the only other vocal version I know of, recorded by Alan Akaka and the Islanders (if memory serves).

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 3:15 pm    

Very nice,Mike! I love B11 tuning, it's very smooth sounding. There are some very nice songs done in it. I've been working out of Doug's excellent books as well.

Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2021 1:46 am    

Thank you Allen..... I had a quick look at your tunings. There are so many. Great reference!

Thanks Nic. I always appreciate your knowledge of the steel guitar. For me this B11 tuning is great as it is a one half step string tune from an A6 tuned instrument. I have been listening to Tapa Room Tapes a lot lately. A great resource and learning to understand how great those players were....fabulous!

Thank you Joe. Doug's books have been invaluable to me. I wish there were more resources out there like them!

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2021 3:00 am    

Nicely Played Mike!!!
Joe Elk Central Ohio

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2021 8:17 am    

Wanna hear something wild? This is Gabby Pahinui playing this tune on steel (bootleg recording). He really cuts loose!
https://clyp.it/uw4jogxg

Alan's version looks like it was from 1987. I've just misplaced which computer I put it on!

Mike I agree, B11 is great for A6 players because it is more closely an alteration of A6 than it is of C6...the top 4 strings play exactly the same way (essentially its an A6 tuning top down for four strings...and a B9 tuning bottom up for 5 strings). In the same way C6 and C6/A7 are so close. And it makes sense to use the low C# if your home tuning is 6string A6...just have to tune one string to go back and forth!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2021 6:43 pm    

Nice job, Mike. Thanks for posting that. I use JB's "rootless" B11 tuning in the book. That would be a C# on string 6. That's how he teaches the tuning in his instruction course. For 8-string, he recommends A and B on strings 7 and 8. I've seen other listings of Jerry's 6-string B11 with a low B, so he probably used either/or depending on the song.

Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2021 1:08 am    

Thank you Joe, I always appreciate you watching and commenting!

Nic, Great that you are bringing to our attention these little gems, Gabby is swinging this one for sure. Excellent!

Doug, I play this exactly as you suggest in your book. It was only later that I found out that it was a split tuning and would be more correct to have a B on string 6. Probably the most difficult thing for me in trying to assimilate the playing of Lap Steel Guitar is all the tuning possibilities. It is the nature of this instrument but it would be nice to have a universal tuning. Thanks again for your books. They have been the biggest factor in my progress playing Lap Steel Guitar.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2021 1:49 am    

Really nice performance, Mike! B11th is so under explored.

Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 3:45 am    

Thank you Andy, I notice you are having B11 fest at the moment. It certainly would be nice to have more B11 repertoire available!