The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ron Riddle
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2021 6:44 pm    

I was not familiar with the name Ron Riddle until I received the email below today. Perhaps some of you knew him. I googled him and found his obituary: www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/pantagraph/name/ronald-riddle-obituary?pid=197477018.

Here's the email from Gregory Putnam, a songwriter who admired him. Rest in peace, Ron.
Quote:
I worked with a genuine person was supportive of me & my developing songwriting back in 2007-2016. I wanted steel guitar in some songs. Finding a talented steel player is not easy in Central IL. And I think I set a high bar for musicians I work with. I found Ron Riddle, I believe, through a local musical association (ICMA). Through them, I met Ron Riddle. Wow.

I hope that someone in this forum knew Ron & might be interested in this email.

I didn't know Ron well, but for the time I knew him, I knew him well, if that makes sense. I went to his place at times to talk about my songs, writing strategies, & so on, but those times were the least productive times we spent, because he'd start telling me stories about his life...the amazing talents he met, performed with, sang with, wrote with..., and his stories were engaging.

I mean, he traveled The Circuit back in the 60s, 70s. 80s. He had stories across them all. I only wish I had recorded more of these talks than I did. What's worse is that I lost all from a computer crash. Sadly, I lost touch with Ron, as I zoomed off into Technology Land; whereas, Ron wanted no part of it. Well, I could go deeper into that, but I won't.

This week I received a call from a woman, who turns out to be Ron's daughter, Mailyn. To shorten my story, Marilyn told me that Ron passed back in January..., a victim of cancer & covid. With this sad news, she said she'd gathered 10 CDs of Ron performing and teaching. There's a 3-disc set of Ron teaching steel guitar tactics, strategies, & tips. Considering that this instruction comes from a person who never knew how to read music. The lessons must be amazing. Ron was always a "teacherly-type" of a guy. He was a storyteller, which comes out in his originals.

My time with Ron we brief & limited, but its scope has been boundless. I met Marilyn this morning, and she gave me those CDs. Marilyn can't afford to replace her broken CD player. I am going to get them all digitized soon. I'm contacting you to ask if anyone is interested in these materials? I do not want a penny out of this.

What I want is to help Marilyn by sharing these potential treasures. I hope you, whomever is reading this email, know of anyone who might be interested in anything I've mentioned. I have no expectations, only hope!

Please feel welcome to contact me. If it's by phone, I don't answer most calls that come from someone I don't know. If you call me and that's the case, please leave a message for me. I'll return a call as quickly as I can. I'll respond soon.

Thanks!

Live well, dream bigger!

Gregory D. Putnam
Owner G Putnam Music, LLC
ASCAP #4616018 (Writer) / #4951012 (Pub)

http://www.gputnammusic.com
gputnam@gputnammusic.com
309-533-3330

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 6:27 pm    

So sorry to hear this... back in the 1960s-1970s, Ron Riddle replaced me playing steel for the "Arkansas Travelers", a brother act (Ben and Ken Cooley) from Champaign, Illinois. Ron and I got to know each other, and he was a great guy as well as an awesome player. He did an instrumental CD that he gave me several years ago. It is in my CD collection...
RIP old friend....
Billy Easton