The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Milkman The Amp Combo
Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2021 6:22 am    

I have searched the forum and have not yet found any conversation about the Milkman The Amp 12" Combo. I love my The Amp but what really intrigues me about the combo is that it has an extension speaker out which allows you to add an 8 ohm speaker (and I happen to have an 8 ohm 15" speaker in a cab that I use for The Amp) as an extension speaker which reduces the overall load to 4 ohms and the power goes from 50 to 100 watts plus you then have an extension speaker when needed.
Anyone have experience with Milkman's The Amp 12" Combo?
thanks

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2021 6:26 pm    

Well...it wouldn't be any different than a regular "The Amp", which is what I use...and my main speaker has an extra jack, in parallel, so I can add a second speaker for the effect you describe - power goes up. I use a different kind of second speaker so the tonal palette also gets more interesting (That is what Matchless amps do in 2x12 combos, and I liked it a lot when I had one).

So just get a speaker cab with a second jack in it, in parallel. And then use one, to two, depending on how much you want to carry and how loud you want to be.

Note that doubling the power does not at all double the perceived loudness, though, but it definitely gives it a bit of a kick..

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2021 6:29 pm    

True Steve-so I guess really the only unknown for me is the sound produced by the Celestion Creamback Neo.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2021 7:20 pm    

Ah...yeah, I actually use a Jupiter 12" and a Jupiter 10", which are what Tim at Milkman uses himself (the 12", which does have a wider response curve), and recommends...I asked him about this and he puts in the NEO because he believes - probably correctly - that people are willing to sacrifice a bit of tone in exchange for the lighter overall weight of the combo.
I have no doubt that he'd build you one with whatever speaker you wanted in it...and he is great to talk to about this stuff. Send him an email, that is his preferred way to communicate...
Or just use external cabs with the "The Amp", as I do...I have The Amp right on my pedalboard, and go through the XLR to the PA, or bring one or two speakers, depending on the gig....

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 7:04 am    

Steve do you use The Amp with pedal steel, lap steel, or both? Also have you tried running lap steel using the direct XLR route with the Amp?

Thanks!

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 10:13 am    

I stopped playing pedal steel before getting "the amp" - it, and lap steel/dobro, were a step in traveling a lot lighter....and now I play a Beard Road-o-phonic, so I only carry one instrument to get both of those (Roadie is for sale because I have a custom one in process).

I use either speaker out or XLR (with cab sim switch on) depending on the gig...and sometimes I use the "pedal out" to power a tiny ZT Lunchbox as a monitor while using the XLR to the PA, if the gig doesn't have monitors.

I do like what the speaker itself adds to the sound for lap steel (not important for dobro)...those Jupiter speakers are lovely...but I can live without it if more convenient....

So I like having all the options for output, with tube tone, all on my pedal board...

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 11:49 am    

Does the " milkman the amp " have plenty of headroom ?

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 11:55 am    

Well...depends on how loud you need to be...right?
....it has plenty for me, but most places I need to be really loud will mic the amp and go to the PA, and who really wants excessive stage volume any more, anyway?

it is a 50 or 100 watt amp. or the other version is 100 or 200 (they differ in a few of the extra buttons). so that should compare to the normal solid-state amps you probably are familiar with...

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 2:04 pm    

Steve Lipsey wrote:
Well...depends on how loud you need to be...right?
....it has plenty for me, but most places I need to be really loud will mic the amp and go to the PA, and who really wants excessive stage volume any more, anyway?

it is a 50 or 100 watt amp. or the other version is 100 or 200 (they differ in a few of the extra buttons). so that should compare to the normal solid-state amps you probably are familiar with...

I have been using two amps together , NV112 and a 20 watt Bantamp hybrid. I run both amps on half volume and really never need all of that. I get an excellent clean tube sound out of the bantamp and have never distorted it. If the milkman will do this I would be interested in buying one.

Thanks Steve ...

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2021 12:27 pm    

OK I can answer my own question now. I got a Milkman The Amp 12" Combo.
Build quality is excellent - such great attention to detail and quality materials. A great looking amp.
The controls and all are just like The Amp 50 as far as how they work and the reverb and tremolo both sound as good as they do on The Amp 50 (and 100 I'm sure just don't own one of those).
I really like being able to use the extension speaker jack to add my 8ohm 15" speaker but the amp sounds great just on its own. I wasn't sure how I was going to like the Celestion Creamback Neo but I am warming up to it. Good thing cause Eminence speakers are hard to get these days.
I have played my Show Pro, my Emmons, my Tele and my Takemine acoustic through The Amp Combo and got the tone I wanted out of all of them. Plus, this amp is really going to make it easier on my wife loading gear for me!

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2021 12:49 pm    

Fred-
Glad to hear it worked out for you. I had no doubt...but it is always nice to actually hear it!