The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Frying Pan, Rickenbacher
Dennis Martinez

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2021 4:08 pm    

I bought a hoarders house that came with some surprises. One is a a 1934 Rickenbacher A22, Pat Pend, in nearly pristine condition considering its age. It’s in the original case. I found a picture online at the Met Museum in NY… mine is in much better condition. Two things 1) trying to establish it’s fair value 2) I want to get it in the hands of someone who would truly cherish this instrument. There is a number stamped on the inside of the top of the neck, I think it’s 443, likely a serial or production number, single volume control, nickel plating is perfect.
This is a very rare Gem! Plugged it into an amp and the guitar works great, however there was a little static when turning the volume up and down, probably dust in the pot.
There’s a crappy looking A22 on eBay for $5g and a decent one listed recently for $29,500.
Mine is in superior condition.
What’s this worth. How do I find a buyer? Should I just keep it and hide it in a closet?[img]

[/img]

Last edited by Dennis Martinez on 14 Jul 2021 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2021 4:37 pm    

It'll be impossible for us to evaluate it without seeing it, but $30K is definitely out of the question.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2021 5:24 pm    

That's cool that you found one but those high asking prices are just absurd, keep in mind that it's a Hawaiian guitar from 85ish years ago. When was the last time Hawaiian music was popular? It ain't a '54 Strat..
My opinion,since you asked us, it should be around 3500 to 5500 max to even be a thought to most players.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2021 9:11 pm    

Glenn Wilde wrote:
That's cool that you found one but those high asking prices are just absurd, keep in mind that it's a Hawaiian guitar from 85ish years ago. When was the last time Hawaiian music was popular? It ain't a '54 Strat..
My opinion,since you asked us, it should be around 3500 to 5500 max to even be a thought to most players.

Having been shopping around recently, this estimate is probably very accurate. At $6000 you might find a buyer …eventually. At $3000 you could probably sell it tomorrow as-is.

If you are willing to wait several months and entertain multiple lowball offers, ask 6000. If you really want to get it into a players hands — somewhere between 3500 and 5000 should move it within a week or two.

I suspect that the people asking extreme high prices don’t really want to sell. Either the spouse is pressing, or they plan on donating it to a museum in exchange for a massive tax receipt.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2021 3:01 pm    

Shocked You can hide it in my closet for free!

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2021 4:00 pm    

Glenn Wilde wrote:
When was the last time Hawaiian music was popular? It ain't a '54 Strat..

-ouch- Laughing That hurts a bit, but not wrong!

It does seem like these are still quite popular with players (predominantly/unsurprisingly with those in the Hawaiian style)...so it may have some collector's value but I think the market is still mostly driven by players.

I think, if you're trying to sell, with a good (conservative/cautious) cleaning and some nice photography it could look pretty great!

Marc Bell

Surat Thani, TH
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2021 4:02 pm    

Worth pointing out that this is NOT an A22

It is an early A25 with the thicker h/shoe magnets too. That makes this one of the earliest production fry pans, and a more valuable guitar than the "normal" A22.
Condition is excellent, very little wear to the original finish and tuners appear original.
Very nice indeed!

edit to add, I have a v similar A25 to yours, as seen on my avatar, but mine is in bad condition, finish very worn, a couple of extra holes drilled in the body for additional pots, and would not even consider selling for a penny under 6K

Last edited by Marc Bell on 15 Jul 2021 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2021 4:19 pm    

While there is no absolute value, I would not be surprised to see this instrument fetch $6-7k or possibly more. This would require visibility and a very focused buyer. About 15 years ago I saw a really clean A22 go for over $5k. A25s are much rarer.

With Todd Clinesmith making such great instruments, the buyer pool has shrunken considerably. This one would be for a collector.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2021 7:30 pm    

I suppose there’d be no harm in posting it here in the SGF for sale section at 6000 or more. Worst case is there’d be no takers and he can try again on Reverb, or accept “best offer”.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2021 8:16 am    

Marc Bell wrote:
Worth pointing out that this is NOT an A22

It is an early A25 with the thicker h/shoe magnets too. That makes this one of the earliest production fry pans, and a more valuable guitar than the "normal" A22.
Condition is excellent, very little wear to the original finish and tuners appear original.
Very nice indeed!

edit to add, I have a v similar A25 to yours, as seen on my avatar, but mine is in bad condition, finish very worn, a couple of extra holes drilled in the body for additional pots, and would not even consider selling for a penny under 6K

Correct, there were no pictures when i gave my pricing advice, i agree that that guitar is more desirable than an A22. Dick Mcintire city!

Last edited by Glenn Wilde on 16 Jul 2021 8:18 am; edited 2 times in total

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2021 8:17 am    

Dennis,
My suggestion is after you figure out the bottom dollar that you want you,
you say in your listing " will consider offers above that $number"
and see what happens.

Tim, you cracked me up!