The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tell me about Quilter Amps....
Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 4:43 am    

I'm thinking I want a dedicated Steel Guitar amp. The Quilter Steelaire rackmount caught my eye but they seem a little hard to find right now. I prefer a rackmount unit because of space requirements in my studio, rack space is available but floor space, not so much.

Anybody have info on when these will be back on the market?

What other amps should I consider (Quilter or not)?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 5:13 am    

Quote:
...rack space is available but floor space, not so much.

Check out the Quilter Tone Block 202 (head only). That's what I use for recording. It's also a handy spare amp for gigs.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 5:15 am    

I had the Steelaire rack mount model. I used it with an Eminence EPS-15C speaker and it was OK but I downsized. I now have a Travis Toy 12 amp combo. I've had all the Peavey amps from the Session 500 to the Nashville 112. The Travis Toy amp is the best steel amp I've had since a Fender Twin Reverb I had in the 70's.

If you want a separate amp, consider the Tone Block 202. Its what is used with the Travis Toy combos. Comparing it to the Steelaire rack, its no contest the TB202 wins.

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 6:40 am    

I had also considered the TB 202 but it has no remote that I am aware of. The rack mount also offers two inputs with separate gain controls and a 4th EQ band and 9v output for effects pedals.

I'm 72 and don't play out anymore. This amp will be strictly for in studio recording only. Once installed it will be there for the rest of my life.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 6:59 am    

This Reverb listing shows 3 available.
https://reverb.com/item/19192445-steelaire-rack-mount-head

I'm 83 and not playing out, but not by choice.

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 7:16 am    

Thanks for all the input.

I saw that ad but hesitated because I have not yet contacted the seller. The listing says "Shipped from quilter Labs" but I don't know who the actual seller is or if they really have them in stock. I guess the next step is to contact them. I don't want let go of the money if I don't get the product for months.

I know what you mean "not by choice", I've got almost as many medical conditions as I do guitars. IMHO getting old really sucks but not getting older sucks worse.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 11:26 am    

The listing may be (good chance it is) old and not updated. If Quilter shows out of stock the seller probably doesn't have any. Quilter has a Facebook page, ask on there.

Just my own opinion but I suspect the Steelaire rack model and combo amps are history.

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 11:43 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Just my own opinion but I suspect the Steelaire rack model and combo amps are history.

I suspect I may be too.

Too late to talk me out of it, the ad is legit and the amp should be here early next week.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 1:21 pm    

Great, you will like the amp, I did but downsized.

Those "3 available" may be all that's left. All the Steelaire's (all I've seen) were made in the US. Quilter has shifted all their production to their (QSC) China production facility.

Butch Mullen

North Carolina, USA 28681
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 2:33 pm    

If anybody is interested, I have a Quilter Labs MicroPro Mach 2 head like the ones listed on Reverb. Assembled in USA in 2014. Will sell for $500 shipped to lower 48. With very heavy duty gig bag. Pay with bank check or personal check. Have problem taking pictures. Butch in NC

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 5:57 am    

Don't know if this inquiry belongs here or in a new posting?

What is the actual "electronics" difference between the Tone-Block 202 and the the Steelaire head?
I know its physically smaller and doesn't have tremlo, but are the basic EQ settings the same?

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 6:35 am    

The Steelaire head has 2 input channels with separate gain controls, the 202 has only one channel.

The head has hi-mid and low-mid as opposed to the 202 which has only mid.

As you mentioned the 202 has no tremolo. The head has 3 controls for the reverb, the 202 has one reverb knob.

The head also has a remote unit that attaches to the guitar leg or mic stand. I don't know if that is available for the 202 or not.

It seems that the is one more difference but I can't remember right now.

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 6:42 am    

The head also has a 9v output and dedicated effects loop.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 7:50 am    

And the TB202 can be very "Fenderish".

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 8:44 am    

The 202 is rated at 200 watts like the Steelaire, but the power amp is actually 400 watts so there is extra headroom to reproduce the effects of tube power amp being overdriven.

Basically they’re very different amps that have different controls and different voicing.

Fred

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 8:46 am    

The 202 is rated at 200 watts like the Steelaire, but the power amp is actually 400 watts sot here is extra headroom to reproduce the effects of tube power amp being overdriven.

Basically they’re very different amps that have different controls and are different voicing.

Fred

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 9:09 am    

I've been using the Tone Block 202 for recording for the past couple of years. Recording direct (SIG OUT). Below are links to three of my vids using the 202. I also used a black box and a bit of delay.

Ghost Riders in the Sky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YdHqxTcBfI

El Condor Pasa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUPtT-fVtVQ

Telstar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7POavqLF-fc

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 9:47 am    

Doug,

I have been subscribed to your YT channel for quite a while. I included 11 of your videos in my Steel Guitar Playlist. You are in fact, one of the pickers that inspired me to lean PSG during the recent isolation from my fellow human beings. Thank You, you make it all look so easy and sound so good.

I have no doubt about the TB202 sound quality but you'd have to see my studio to to see why the rack mount unit makes sense to me. I may post a pic next week after the amp is installed in the studio.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 9:50 am    

Thank you, Edward. Yes, please post a picture of your studio at some point. Looking forward to seeing it.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 10:01 am    

Thank ya'all for the explanation.

Thanks Doug for the demo...now if Quilter could package your talent into the "202"!!!

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2021 6:46 pm    

My Steelaire rackmount arrived today! I had an eye appointment so haven't got it all together yet.

One thing I did not know about was the VP loop. Can anybody tell me if that's something I really want to use? I'm using a Goodrich Omni pedal in passive mode right now. Would appreciate any advice from anybody that has used that function of the Steelaire.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2021 7:30 am    

Quote:
... the VP loop. Can anybody tell me if that's something I really want to use?

Yes, Quilter recommends using the VP loop for passive volume pedals. Not needed with active volume pedals.

I use a Hilton pedal nowadays so I don't use the VP loop. A few years ago I was using an old Sho-Bud pedal and Yes, the loop in the Steelaire made a big difference. The sound was much cleaner. If you're using a passive pedal, try it both ways. I think you'll notice the difference.

From the Steelaire owner's manual:

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2021 10:54 am    

Thanks, I re-read the manual after I quit moving equipment around. Finally got it all up and running this morning. Oh man, I love the sound of this amp !!!

I was thinking I would be using channel 2 for other instruments so If I do end up using the VP loop I would be switching out cables to use ch2 for something else. Which is not a real issue right now as I still can't use a VP the way I want anyway.

Thanks again for everybody's help. I am really glad no one talked me out of getting one of the apparently rare Steelaires left.

I shot a short vid of my 10x12 studio after I got the Steelaire up and running, in case anybody is interested. Sorry no sound samples yet... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSqEOtBJecU

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2021 11:39 am    

Looks good. I’m glad you like the sound of the Quilter. For what it’s worth, I usually set Gain 1 up around 7 to get a warm tone without breakup.

This thread is the first I’ve heard about the Steelaire becoming hard to find…? They’re still listed on the Quilter website.