The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Clinesmith Joaquin and Cast Aluminum - Tone Differences??
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2021 3:14 pm    

Hey kids,

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I couldn't find this specific info.

Looking to put down a deposit to have Todd build me a Joaquin or Cast Aluminum 8string, C6, steel.

Has anyone played both and can speak on the tone and/or sustain differences? I mostly play swing, rockabilly, blues and roots.......with occasional gain and ambient effects added.

Guessing I'll go for 22.5 scale......but still considering string spacing, too.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

PS......I'm a Joaquin Murphey nut, so that's slightly where my heart lies.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2021 10:07 am    

Hey Jim,
I have the same question as I'm contemplating a similar order. I have read that the cast aluminum model has more sustain, which is certainly desirable. Also I'm not sure that the Joaquin is available in long scale, which is what I'm leaning toward. One question I have for someone who has gigged with both guitars is whether the Joaquin (wood body with a cast aluminum plate) is less susceptible to tuning instability with temperature changes than the aluminum bodied guitar might be.

Mike Neer doesn't seem to have any tuning problems with his cast Clinesmith in the outdoor gig videos he has posted. Of course, he might be retuning the guitar between every song for all I know! Hopefully he will weigh in since he has owned both models. I think Andy Depaul owns both models as well.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2021 10:25 am    

I have a cast aluminum Clinesmith (long scale) and have had no tuning issues with it at all, for what it's worth. I haven't had a Joaquin, but I've also had a couple of "plank" model Clinesmiths. They didn't sustain quite as much as the cast aluminum guitar, but still had good sustain. Tuning was quite stable on them as well.

I've had some old Rick fry pans, and they did change a bit with temperature. The only guitars I've had that were really really temperature sensitive were metal bodied pedal steels. They could take quite a while to stabilize after a temperature change.

Dave

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 9:55 am    

I had both the wood and the aluminum version and I kept the aluminum one. Its the best steel I ever had, best tone and sustain and the harmonics really pops!

I also had both the long scale and short scale and I kept the long one. To me it get a better tone, harmonics and sustain.

I ordered a 7 strings frypan that I'm really exited about just because I love the Clinesmith guitars!

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2021 9:39 am    

A couple of my friends that have long scale Clinesmith frypans both said that if they were only allowed to have only one steel, the frypan would be the one. I've never played a wood one or an aluminum Clinesmith.

Mine will be ready in two weeks!! I will report back soon. Very Happy

dz