The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Impressions of the DV Mark Jazz 12
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 1:21 pm    

I picked one of these up last week as a potential replacement for my Cube 60. I was particularly looking for something with a DI out, which the Cube lacks. I was pleasantly surprised by how light it really feels; sometimes the listed weight of an amp doesn't translate into what my back expects. This did: lightest 'real' combo amp I've experienced in a long time. On the other hand, I was surprised at how much boxier it feels than the cube. It has slightly larger dimensions which probably don't amount to much more of a footprint, but just feels 'big' for a single 12 amp. More like the Ampeg BA112 I had a while back (which weighed more like the Cube).

Tonally, it seems to me to be very similar to the Cube. The Roland has some more tone shaping flexibility, but tweaking over a long session pretty much landed me in the same ballpark between amps. If there is a difference, it might be in the low-end fullness of the DV Mark, something I've often missed in the Cube. To me, both amps fall short on the high end when I'm playing strings 1-4 above the tenth fret; the tone loses body and character. If I turn down the treble (and presence on the Cube) it gets too muddy.

What should not have surprised me, but did ”my bad” was the volume difference between the amps. The 45 watt DV Mark has notably less potential volume than the 60 watt Cube. I know: 'Duh!' But somehow, I didn't really expect there to be a substantial difference. There is: at least between the two specimens I have sitting here.
Because the Jazz 12 costs substantially more (although I got it use for a pretty good price with a nice, unexpected after-market cover included!), I think I'm going to return it and hold on to the Roland. It's not that I count on the Cube for loud gigs (plenty of other options for that), but I just don't want to get caught short at a gig when I already own a similar amp. Of course, I still need to address the lack of a DI, but I will try running the line-out to a DI box with a pad that I can keep in my seat for those rare occasions when a DI is needed.

To be clear, I think the DV is a good amp, just doesn't weigh in as a better amp for me when all the considerations are taken into account. I guess I'm also factoring in the fact that this is the fourth(!) Cube 60 I've owned. I always seem to end up missing it and buying one again. Maybe it's time to just stick with it and stop turning my head every time a pretty, new alternative strolls by...

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 6:02 pm    

Dan, it's an endless search for the better mousetrap. I have a basement full of amps that are OK but not quite what I wanted. The holy grail is still out there waiting for us to discover it.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 1:11 am    

Ahh! You're singing my song here ! Very Happy I had been using the DV Mark Jazz 12 for about 6 months before Coved shut us down a year ago, when we resume this month this is the amp I will use, small to moderate room.

I personally think this "IS" the Holy Grail "small room" +/- 20 lb amp for us Steel players. Not the smaller cabinet model with the "8" speaker, but rather the Little Jazz 12.

Extremely flexible and responding EQ, especially in the mids. Even the stock DV speaker is "worthy" .

The amp has a boat load of features, very useable Reverb , Aux In, XLR out, Headphones out, Ext Speaker out, Line out button, etc... and it sounds great ,with more than acceptable clean headroom.

Heres a link from a while back, I love this little thing . I parked the N112 after I acquired this amp. I still carry a 50 Watt DV Head in the car as a back up as well.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=348764&highlight=mark+jazz

TODAY - its still here !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 2:58 am    

Yeah, I hear you Tony, it is a good amp. I dunno: maybe I just keep 'em both. I suppose I'll take it to my acoustic gig this Friday and see how it does.

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2021 12:10 pm    

Kind of a side comment from me. I've used a DV Little Jazz for years and love it (although the reverb has only one usable setting). Despite its size it can play a 200 person club without PA assistance - admittedly my bandmates are not using big amps nor do we have a drummer!
Seriously it's a package you can stand on a bar or pop under your seat when the stage is tiny.

For bigger gigs I have a DV Galileo tube head and neodym 12" speaker and I have not thought about replacing either amp for steel for some years!

\paul

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 13 Jul 2021 4:32 am    

Soooo.......

I took the DV Jazz 12 to a gig last week. Reports were it sounded good out front. However, the space was too acoustically problematic for me to really assess. In the meantime, though, I've managed to work with it at home, and it really does have a clear edge over the Cube 60 tone-wise--in addition to its extra features. So I'm gonna keep it. That means that soon I'll have my fourth Cube 60 up for sale. You can all giggle and roll your eyes when I inevitably buy another Cube 60 within a year or two. Fair enough. But I'll catch that tail someday! You just wait! (No. No I won't. Never.)