The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic

Which Deluxe 34 stand would be better for my 1939 Rickenbacher Model 59?
Universal U3
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Universal U4
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Streamliner S3
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Streamliner S4
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Author Topic:  Which Deluxe34 stand for a Rick Model 59?
Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2021 11:55 am    

Which Deluxe 34 stand would be better for my 1939 Rickenbacher Model 59 and why? 3 legs or 4?

https://www.deluxe34.com/pdfs/brochure_universal.pdf

[url] https://www.deluxe34.com/pdfs/brochure_streamliner.pdf[/url]

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

All aloha, all the time

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2021 4:56 am    

Since I presently have and use five Deluxe34s (an original Deluxe34 with four legs, both three-legged and four-legged Universals, and two three-legged Streamliners), for once I feel marginally qualified to offer an opinion.

Any of the three- or four-legged options for an original, a Streamliner, or a Universal would be excellent for your Ric.

Four legs are sturdier than three. This gets more and more apparent the higher the legs are raised. When played in a sitting position, the additional leg won't make much difference. If the legs are extended up to facilitate a standing position, a three-legger can get a tad wobbly.

That being said, a little wobble doesn't hinder me. One of my three-legged Streamliners is set up with double brackets to hold two instruments, and extended to play in a standing position. Some may find it a tad shakey, but it doesn't really interfere with my playing. Your results may vary.

The main difference between the Streamliners and Universals are the brackets. If it's your intention to use the stand for only one specific instrument, the Streamliner with appropriately sized neck and lower bout brackets would be ideal. You can always purchase additional brackets of varying sizes for different instruments.

If there's ever the possibility you might use the stand with an instrument of different dimensions, I would recommend the Universal, since its brackets are cleverly designed to fit many different sized instruments.

If your pocketbook is a prime consideration, the U3 should serve you well. If money is no object, opt for an original Deluxe34 with four legs, since it can be set up either as a tripod or a quad.

Be sure to check with Mark first to see if he still offers the original, since it's no longer listed on his site.

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2021 2:57 am    

What Jack said. Mine has 3 & 4 leg options. I find the 3 work fine sitting. The neck bracket does not always fit my steels so I'm making others to fit. I have a lot of machines and resources at my disposal to work with however.

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 8:45 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
Since I presently have and use five Deluxe34s (an original Deluxe34 with four legs, both three-legged and four-legged Universals, and two three-legged Streamliners), for once I feel marginally qualified to offer an opinion.

Any of the three- or four-legged options for an original, a Streamliner, or a Universal would be excellent for your Ric.

Four legs are sturdier than three. This gets more and more apparent the higher the legs are raised. When played in a sitting position, the additional leg won't make much difference. If the legs are extended up to facilitate a standing position, a three-legger can get a tad wobbly.

That being said, a little wobble doesn't hinder me. One of my three-legged Streamliners is set up with double brackets to hold two instruments, and extended to play in a standing position. Some may find it a tad shakey, but it doesn't really interfere with my playing. Your results may vary.

The main difference between the Streamliners and Universals are the brackets. If it's your intention to use the stand for only one specific instrument, the Streamliner with appropriately sized neck and lower bout brackets would be ideal. You can always purchase additional brackets of varying sizes for different instruments.

If there's ever the possibility you might use the stand with an instrument of different dimensions, I would recommend the Universal, since its brackets are cleverly designed to fit many different sized instruments.

If your pocketbook is a prime consideration, the U3 should serve you well. If money is no object, opt for an original Deluxe34 with four legs, since it can be set up either as a tripod or a quad.

Be sure to check with Mark first to see if he still offers the original, since it's no longer listed on his site.

Thank you, Jack. That is exactly the information I was looking for. Since I am trying to facilitate standing, I’ll narrow it to the four leg models. Pocketbook? Well, I’m a professional musician, so you know which direction that goes Wink

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

All aloha, all the time

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 5:38 pm    

I have a couple of Deluxe 34 Universal 4 leg stands and I think they're fantastic... I use them with a variety of steels so the universal aspect was important to me.

Very stable, easy to set up, and pack up nice at the end of the night.

Mark's great to work with as well.

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2021 8:09 am    

I have one of his single leg stands that he made a limited number of and use it with a B6. Very well made, a bit wobbly being a single leg. I had an old “vintage” single leg stand and this is more stable. That said, I wouldn’t leave the guitar on the stand during a break.

Ronald Lee White

Richmond, VA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2021 10:53 am     Deluxe34

I am trying to get in touch with Mark Roeder to fabricate a lap steel stand for my 8 string aluminum frypan steel. Is he still making lap steel stands?
I can't access his web site for some reason.
Thanks

Mike Schway

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2021 6:50 pm    

I have a Ric Bakelite as well as a Silver Hawaiian. I'm not too familiar with a Model 59, but both of mine have arched backs. These were a problem with a Universal 3-leg; the guitar didn't want to sit level. Fortunately Mark makes a concave rear bracket which works really well with the Ric's arched back and I'm very happy with my U-3.

Last edited by Mike Schway on 14 Dec 2021 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Roger Fletcher

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2021 8:07 am    

I emailed Mark a couple of months ago to enquire about a double bracket. He said he had retired and was unable to undertake custom work.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2021 8:13 am    

I'm very happy for Mark. He is an incredibly talented artist and it seems he is devoting a lot of time to those pursuits. He created the best steel guitar stands ever made and for that we are eternally grateful.

Bill Eisele

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2021 12:18 pm    

Roger Fletcher wrote:
I emailed Mark a couple of months ago to enquire about a double bracket. He said he had retired and was unable to undertake custom work.

Roger, Do you know if Mark is still making his standard models or has he completely retired? I was going to order one of his standard models (probably a Universal U-4) for my Ric B6, but maybe waited too long.

Thanks,

Bill

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2021 12:41 pm    

Just the other day Mark had a few stands listed in his Reverb store but now there are 0. You could keep a watch or you could contact him and see what's going to be.
I, too, am glad for him (retirement) but it's quite a loss for the steel community. There is nothing else.

https://reverb.com/shop/deluxe34

Roger Fletcher

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2021 1:09 am    

Bill Eisele wrote:

Roger, Do you know if Mark is still making his standard models or has he completely retired? I was going to order one of his standard models (probably a Universal U-4) for my Ric B6, but maybe waited too long.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, Mark's reply to me was a little unclear on this. He did add that he no longer had access to the workshop. So I suspect he was selling off remaining stock but not making any more. Roger