The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Peterson Tuning Chart Updated
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2021 2:00 pm    

There have been several recent forum threads about Peterson tuners, and it caused me to look at my chart. I found one change that was omitted from the chart but not the actual JE9 program. I've sent this chart to many and according to the Peterson site my "JE9" for E9th has been "shared" (as Peterson calls it) 40 times. Some may have the updated chart, but for those that don't, here is the updated chart.

My chart is the Newman sweetened tunings with the opens/pedals/knees combined into one program. I also added several E9th changes that are common now but were not in the 80's when the Newman charts were developed. This includes the 1st string full tone G# raise, 2nd string E raise, 5th string B and A# lowers, 6th string G and F# lowers, 7th string G raise, 9th string C# lower and 10th string B and A# lowers. The tuning numbers for the extras were developed with my Franklin - works for me on my GFI too.

The C6th (JC6) is just the Newman sweetened open/pedals/knee combined into one.

The third, "JKL" is what couldn't be in the combined. E9th 4th string F# raise and 4th string lower to D#. And for the C6th, 3rd string B lower. Not a big deal as these rarely need adjustment.

Newer Peterson Tuners (StroboPlus HD and StroboStomp HD) have the capability of displaying alternate offset notes for the same octave and the changes listed in my JKL can be incorporated into E9th and C6th tuning programs.

The same approach can be used for any other tuning programs. Not limited to the Newman Sweetened.

Here is the chart (If you want a PDF or MSWord copy, e-mail me and state which one you want).

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 24 Jun 2021 7:25 am; edited 3 times in total

Patrick Fleming

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2021 4:56 am    

Thanks Jack,

Did you update that chart on the Peterson Website?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2021 5:44 am    

Patrick Fleming wrote:
Thanks Jack,

Did you update that chart on the Peterson Website?

There was no need to update the actual "JE9". It was OK, just the chart needed updating.

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2021 7:36 am    

Jack, your a good man and a good player.