The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey repair-ProFex
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 5:53 am    

I have an original ProFex that I put the batteryless mod in long ago and went to use it but now not working. I contacted Peavey but no response, and I know they’re way behind on repairs etc. Wondering if someone else repairs these or if it’s obsolete and of no interest. I still have my TubeFex, so really don’t need this piece of gear sitting around.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 6:49 am    

Maybe Ken Fox.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 1:04 pm    

I assume you used the right power supply? Did it even light up?

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 3:20 pm    

Yes lights up display boots to software version etc but wheel does nothing .This is the original (no adapter) hard wired.120v

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 6:05 pm    

I would try doing a reset, however that would wipe out any presets. I haven't been inside the original profex.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2021 1:07 am    

Kevin Mincke wrote:
Yes lights up display boots to software version etc but wheel does nothing .This is the original (no adapter) hard wired.120v

Message Ken Fox. He is the go to for Profex repair
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2021 5:49 pm    

Most likely the trace or traces to the data wheel were compromised by older batter leakage. When that happen the data wheel does not work

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2021 7:20 am    

Ken Fox wrote:
Most likely the trace or traces to the data wheel were compromised by older batter leakage. When that happen the data wheel does not work

Ken
Just wanted to take a moment and thank you for all you do for all of us in the PSG community, sir. Your help, advice, and contributions are invaluable.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2021 8:13 am     Data wheel

You are most welcome

The traces go by the battery and are almost hair thin. When broken the data wheel does not function

I usually have to run small jumpers wires from the pads where the traces go to snd come from. This due to the traces being to small to solder onto

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2021 11:25 am    

I have recently purchased a Pro Fex II from Ken, containing the mods and the Burr Brown chips. No issues hear.
Thank you Ken

dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 11:31 pm     Profex

Ken got mine back up and it sounds like yours is doing the same thing as mine. Ken is the man to go to