The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What pickup is this?
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2021 3:33 pm    

Here's a pickup I received in a trade. Can anyone identify it?

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2021 3:38 pm    

Reissue L705 wide mount. The "other" Bill Lawrence. Not Bill and Becky mfg.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2021 3:42 pm    

There are two Bill Lawrences? Or is this a Bill Lawrence pickup from the company after Bill passed on?

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2021 4:40 pm    

Well now, that's a can-o-worms...
Bill sold the company that bears his name to his business partner.
Then some lawyers were involved.
In the end, Bill was no longer allowed to use his name as he'd "sold" it with the company.
So he started Wilde pickups with Becky, which I believe she still runs.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2021 6:09 pm    

Yes, that is a pickup issued some years after Bill passed on and by a different manufacturer.

My post was trying to differentiate between this recent edition of the 705 and the earlier rare and coveted chrome surround models of the 705 model of Bill's '05 series that was introduced in the late 70s.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2021 8:04 pm    

Grain o' salt (from what I gather): I recall posts on the Forum from (the late) Bobbe Seymour claiming that these reissue 705's from not Bill L.'s company sounded better than the original chrome-surround 705's. At the time Bobbe could sell the reissues, but not the originals, so...???

Lot of controversy about the Bill Lawrence legacy, and about Bobbe S. I'm an outsider looking in. Confused

Paul Leoni

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2021 8:27 am    

FWIW.
I just acquired one of these for a good price via a kind forum member.

For a hummer, they are very bright leaning toward a very forward "upper midrange" sound. Very high output as well. If your input jack leans toward high gain, you will need to lower this unit as it is very hot. If what you need is to cut through a Tele player without the noise of a single coil on stage, you have just found your new best friend.

If you want to have a very well balanced even tone, this will require a very talented EQ section on your preamp. It's all there, but you will need Q.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2021 10:32 am    

Years ago I was looking for the humbucker that sounded most like a single, and was directed to these. I really liked it in my first issue LDG.. so much so that I ordered one on my new Mullen a couple of years ago. I think they sound great with my SF Twin Reverb..

Edit to add: My Mullen is lacquer with a wood neck...and, of course, my LDG is, also.
I haven't used one with a mica body or a metal neck, but I can't imagine this pup sounding bad..

Last edited by Dave Meis on 24 Jun 2021 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2021 10:53 am    

Dave, Buck Grantham and Austin Stewart are only a few of professional players that agree with you. I have used them on a Mullen with favorable results. The key is to remove the original Mullen spacers and substitute them with spacers not as tall in order too get the pickup low enough and into the sweet zone. To me they sound harsh when too close to the strings, but lower them and it is day and night.

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2021 11:45 am    

after trying out different single coils and hum buckers this is the pickup that's on my main guitar

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2021 12:22 pm    

Morton Kellas wrote:
Dave, Buck Grantham and Austin Stewart are only a few of professional players that agree with you. I have used them on a Mullen with favorable results. The key is to remove the original Mullen spacers and substitute them with spacers not as tall in order too get the pickup low enough and into the sweet zone. To me they sound harsh when too close to the strings, but lower them and it is day and night.

It does need to be lower! I tried to fit one in my Emmons PP and couldn't get it low enough...

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2021 7:51 pm    

The 710/xr16 can be purchased from https://www.wildepickups.com

The 705's can be bought brand new from Gary Sil or https://www.pitbullaudio.com/shop?q=705+pickup