The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My nuts are too loose.....
Paul Leoni

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2021 3:57 pm    

....On this Sho-Bud collage guitar I am working on. The tuning nuts that were on it (long nylon), were getting too easy to turn (loose-ish) , so I replaced them with new ones (ostensibly for Sho-Bud etc from Ebay dealer) These were shorter but that was not a problem as they still used the same thread size.

However, these seem to be just the very tiniest bit oversized so on some rods, I am back where I started or worse they come off (yes plenty of thread not over or under tuned, just loose. I suspect there may be a standard vs. metric issue here.

Does anyone know a source for long (around 2")nylon tuning nuts for (most likely Maverick) old pull release sho bud rods, probably the original parts. These are not short with a spacer just long tighter nuts. Some of them are fine, thus the "worn out" suspicion.
Thanks!!

Last edited by Paul Leoni on 21 Jun 2021 7:32 pm; edited 4 times in total

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2021 4:11 pm     Re: My nuts are too loose.....

Paul Leoni wrote:
....On this Sho-Bud collage guitar I am working on. The ones that were on it (long nylon) were getting too easy to turn, so I replaced them with new ones (ostensibly for Sho-Bud etc) These were shorter but that was not a problem as they still used the same thread size. However, these seem to be just the very tiniest bit oversized so on some rods,I am back where I started or worse. Does anyone know a source for long (around 2")nylon tuning nuts for (most likely Maverick) old pull release sho bud rods?
Thanks!!

Try this link: https://www.psgparts.com/ShoBud_c2.htm

Paul Leoni

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2021 4:52 pm    

Aha! I get it. They are not threaded at all, just a hole cut through about the same size as the rod and you are basically tapping the nylon with the thread that's cut on the rod. Yet another steel guitar maker secret handshake guild-ish thing (-: Thanks Gary Watkins for leading me in the right direction. A long time ago in project far far away Intel (yes that Intel) had a super secret guildy thing going on with their Celeron vs. Pentium 4 chip. I know a guy that busted them in EQ magazine. (-: Here is to simplicity.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2021 7:37 pm    

There are 3 known standard size rods used by steel guitar builders. Examples, GFI use 3/32" rods, Emmons all pull use 7/64" and old MSA's use 1/8".
When ordering Plastic Tuning Nuts.
There is 3 measurements needed.
1. Length of nut 2. Depth of hole 3. diameter of pull rods.

Check the diameter of the pull rods in the problem guitar with a micrometer or dial caliper. I have found more than 1 diameter of pull rods on guitars, Someone having added extra pedals or knee levers after the guitar left the factory.

Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 4:55 am    

For a reference:

1/8” rods are 6-32 thread

7/64” are 5-40 thread

3/32” are 4-40 thread

You’ll need nylon nuts corresponding to those screw sizes.

Paul Leoni

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 6:31 am    

Thanks everyone!!!
This mutt is my test bed, I want to see how to simplify the whole unit. First, I need to get it as stable as possible in its current configuration.

Larry Hobson

Valley Grande (Selma) Al USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 7:04 am     Loose nuts

Weighing in,. Not to intentionally add confusion to anyone already confused by the size of their nuts but, to be correct, it's the diameter of the threaded end where the nut is in contact, not necessarily the diameter of the unthreaded rod itself. Rolled threads should mic larger than the rod itself, requiring a nut sized for this larger threaded end itself , not based on the unthreaded rod size but on the threaded section . Conversely,the threaded section of rods with cut threads should mic about the same as the rod itself whereas the unthreaded rod diameter itself would get you the correct size nut. Please feel free to correct me or add clarity to this rant.