The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Okla Steel Guitar Assn - June 25-26 - Singers
Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2021 6:17 pm    

Today I'd like to introduce you to John Terry and focus on his contributions to the OSGA . Many of you will remember that I refer to him as my son-in-law because I adopted his wife Karol as my daughter .

I will go on record as saying this is the finest voice you'll ever hear that doesn't have a record label .If Ray, or Darrell , or Curtis , or Tony recorded it , John knows the song and can deliver it with equal quality . You may think that I've taken leave of my senses but what I'm saying is the truth and as Chet would say , "that's my opinion and it should be yours ".

Back in the late 90's we were working the neatest venue ever , a place called Cowskin Prairie in Grove , Ok and because of his voice and song choices , we were able to bring a great steel player {John Buffington} out of retirement . When John played his set that year at the OSGA Convention , the OSGA had been paying $ 1500 to one of the Texas acts. Don Compston is reported to have said "why are we paying Mr X that money when these guys , The Country Classics can do all of the good shuffles and we've already got them on staff.....you see John was playing fiddle and I was on bass in the staff band . So we were given one hour of time on Saturday night featuring Mr Buffington on his Emmons .

About that time JT began to build fiddles and if you'll read the liner notes on Bobby Flores' C D's , he pays tribute to John Terry . I could go on and on but I'd btter quit before this requires a Table of Contents . 'Til tomrrow

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 6:46 am    

It is remarkable that folks today, STILL remember those days when you and JT graced the stage on Saturday evening. Don definitely put together an "A Team" staff band for our event. Players, Pro and local alike repeatedly, comment how much they appreciated Don's effort in putting together such an awesome staff band, John Terry, Larry King, Dewayne Bowman, Paul Polish and of course Mr. Keyboards, Roy Rosetta. That combination would rival any convention staff band. "Boy, Those Were The Days".

Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 7:41 am    

In the short time that I knew Don Compston , I thought very highly of him .A fine man and I hold his memory in high regard .
You're right , Dewayne Bowman added so very much to the staff band . Not only his guitar work but his awesome vocals .
Paul and Roy were an integral part of the show....couldn't do it without them

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 10:15 am    

Right you are Larry. Dewayne, John Terry and Larry King were often referred to as "The Tulsa Shows Vocal A Team" and rightfully so. It is still rewarding to hear folks make reference to the Tulsa Show's staff band and singers. Thank you all for making it the show it was.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2021 9:18 am    

Posted by Larry King in another thread -

It occurred to me that I failed to mention a couple of great vocalists and I would be remiss not to correct the record

Justin Trevino is a household name in the Texas music scene .
I'm amazed at how a person deals with losing their sight however my macular degeneration has changed some things and limited my opportunities i.e. driving . Then I consider Justin who graced our OSGA one year with a great demonstration of playing and singing . What a voice and what an example of turning lemons into lemonade

Then there's the Dean of singers in the steel world. He was always there ready to ply his gift and , in some cases , rescue a player who got frustrated with this invention we call Pedal Steel Guitar. That would be the late, great Rob Parker. Rob knew gazillion songs and especially those that were conducive to steel . My favorite was Heart of a Clown.He'd add a little color on popular songs like Mansion On a Hill. Roy buddy how many times have you taken a ride on that one ?
So we pay tribute to Rob and Justin and thank them for sharing their talents.....signing off but I'll be back manana....hope you'll be present

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2021 9:20 am    

Posted by Larry King in another thread -

All right...once again we'll touch on the past performances of OSGA Convention shows . Through the years we've been blessed with some of the most incredible voices in the business . We've had Sissy Privitt , Dottie Jack , an awesome singer named Chrissy Crisp , the beautiful and talented Miss Amber Digby , step daughter of Dickey Overbey , a terrific singer/songwriter with an exceptional voice and former first lady Miss Leona Williams

I've intentionally saved the last honor specially reserved for a most genuine voice.....I've known her for several years now and she is a real beautiful person , inside and out , country as cornbread , at ease on a stage with the who's who in the steel guitar world {check out youtube}....hands down my all time favorite {drum roll please } , I'm talking about Miss Laney Hicks . Wowzer . Incredible singer and easy on the eyes . Feel free to voice your opinion