The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joe Wright,,Is Right!
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 5:00 am    

Here is a 2 and a half hour video that I've "watched" a couple of times,,,My humble opinion,,,,Wright is right!!!! Puts out a whole lot of "truth",,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P5c30VeceU

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 5:28 am    

I will check it out Sonny. Always up for pro tips.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 9:07 am    

Thanks for posting, Sonny.

The depth of the detail and the clarity in all Joe’s instructional material is what makes it so valuable. That kind of principled, methodical approach is exactly what I was looking for when I found his videos on the Sierra website. I bought his method books and use them as part of my practice routine.

He would have been a great football coach, had he gone that route with his life. But at the same time his charismatic presence and delivery can be very entertaining.

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 9:10 am    

Joe’s 32 moves has made a big impact on my playing!

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 9:49 am    

I've always thought of Jeff Newman as the epitome of analyzing,,,but he had nothing on Joe,,Joe peels it down to the bone!!! On his "minimize movement" concept, I've been doing the old Hal and Weldon 1 pedal, 2 finger, 3 string speed picking exercise, an exercise many of us learned palm blocking from,, using Joe's minimal pick blocking concept. Great exercise ,,for me anyway!

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 12:47 pm    

I think a lot of people who have not "taken to" Joe's teaching is due to the 3 fingerpick concept,,but really he seems to teach a lot of the more popular 2 fingerpick things.

Doug, does his 32 moves course use 3 or 2 fingerpicks?

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 12:58 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
I think a lot of people who have not "taken to" Joe's teaching is due to the 3 fingerpick concept,,but really he seems to teach a lot of the more popular 2 fingerpick things.

Doug, does his 32 moves course use 3 or 2 fingerpicks?

I use 2, his technique book uses 3 finger picks. I was having a terrible time trying to palm block and I started doing the 32 moves first thing each day. At first I could not do it with the metronome, when I got where I could I started at 60 bpm and increased by 1 bpm each day. I got a little over 200 and it was getting pretty sloppy so I slowed down. I don’t do it every day now( although I should) now I do it at a speed I can block cleanly.

Allen Merrell

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2021 5:04 am    

I have all of Jeff's teaching courses E9 & C6 and they are very good but I always had the WHY going on in the back of my mind and looking here and there for the answer Then I came across Joe Wright's book My Approach and that was just what I needed. This is the best information to get you going to higher levels of playing that is out there.