The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Okla Steel Guitar Assn - June 25-26 - Behind the Scenes
Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 7:35 pm    

We're going to take a look at the people {ladies} behind the scene....those who've worked tirelessly year after year to make certain everything is in place and ready for the show to start.
To begin with , Marion Crow {Mrs Rick Crow} has been available to help wherever she's needed as well as Vivian Richards {Mrs Clovis Richards}....these ladies , along with Patsy Cox {Mrs Clark Cox} , also Deanna Robertson and I can't forget Mary McGee {Mrs Mike McGee} and Phyllis Clark {Mrs Will Clark} . My hat is off to these ladies....kudos to them . Can you imagine what a mess Pres Beverly Harris would be in trying to do her duties without these unselfish women to pick up the slack
Barbara Rosetta {Mrss Roy Rosetta} works the food booth as well as being the chauffer for Roy . I know for a fact that Barbara works behind the food counter at Baxter Springs and also Siloam Springs as well as Tulsa {remember she's the wife of the Energizer Bunny}.
Barbara is also in charge of the Benevolent Fund for the TSGA.....Texas Steel Guitar Assn. This provides financial support for the needs of members and their families.She's very active with the raffles and auctions , 50/50......all with the commitment to money raising for the TSGA.
Girls , you make it happen and it would not work if we didn't have you
THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 1:47 am    

I give honor to everyone of them. It takes a special person to work and receive no compensation for the benefit of others.

Beverly Harris

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 6:17 am     Ladies

Adding to the list…When you eat those cakes, frito pies, sloppy joes, cookies…Darlene Lemon, Vivian Richards, Karen White, Ellen Hattabaugh, Deanna Robertson, Mrs Corky,…Thanks to all of you who help keep the show functioning and thanks to those who are there every jam on Sunday afternoons. (And Doug). Donna Newberry, we miss those pecan pies!!!

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 7:40 am    

Larry....thanks for the great things you have said about my wife, Barbara. I would like to add one thing to the list that I am very proud of about Barbara. She is also on the Board of Directors of the TSGA.
We are very proud of all the ladies that contribute their efforts to the steel guitar organizations.

Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 8:38 am    

Wow.....I did not know that, Roy . She's proven to be capable of wearing several hats and now we learn how fortunate we are to have a person with the talent and willingness to help with decisions at TSGA

Beverly Harris

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 2:31 pm     Barbara

She has given me suggestions about the show that I appreciated and used. So willing to help or share good ideas. Thanks, Barbara.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2021 9:23 am    

Posted by Larry King in another thread -

I think it's probably time to recognize some folks heretofore not mentioned nor given credit for their contributions to the OSGA....Oklahoma Steel Guitar Assn. I've a few thank you's to hand out . But in addition to that , Marty's had a heart for the club and one year {I think} he and Rick Crow shared the Presidency and although I don't know who to credit , they presented all of the staff band with jackets. I feel certain that I've worn mine more than anybody else. They had the name of the club embroidered on the back . Very cool .Marty and Rick also helped guys with their equipment on load in.

There's more....we'll honor Don Compston , John Buffington,and Wayne Morton next time. You'll hear how the steel bug bit me....with exception of 2019 when I had my back surgery,I have staffed on bass starting with 2002.

O K....don't touch that dial....we'll be back

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2021 9:24 am    

Posted by R. Crow in another thread -

Marty was President all by himself and did a fine job. The only office I have ever held was Secratary/Treasurer for several years. Not a big job since Don Compston guaranteed all of our expenses. He was the heart and soul of our club, and invited all those big names that we brought to town. I spent most of my time during the shows at the admissions desk and helping with load in/out. More recently, Wanye Morton and I handled setting the stage. I have always asked to play on Friday because by the end of the show, I am whipped and don't even want to see a steel guitar.

During the time that we were at the airport Radison, Drysale's Weatern Wear sponsered the show. My mother worked at Drysdale's and arranged this. They gave us a jacket and $200 merchandise gift certificate for several years. We would present the jackets to various players and raffle the gift certificate.

The year that you're talking about we decided that the club would purchase extra jackets that Drysdales monogrammed for us and give the jackets to the staff band. It's great to hear that you still have yours.

It's been fun to help where I could. Thanks for noticing.

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2021 9:32 am    

Posted by Larry King on another thread -

I received a phone call last night from Will Clark , telling me that he was going to Emcee our 2021 show and was I ever glad . I don/t think I've ever heard a better man for the job and for those who don't know , the OSGA was instrumental in our introduction to each other . That was at the McSwain Theater .
Since that time I put a band together for Will at the Crown Theater in Collinsville , Ok . The players were John Buffington , Don Parker , Hayden Bramlett , Harold Blake and myself . We enjoyed that show for the better part of 2 years . Thankfully , three of that band is still performing under the name of Osage Country .

In the meanwhile , I have forged a friendship with Will and Phyllis {sugar booger} that has been such a blessing to me and Gay . They've pulled out every effort to be a true friend .
Will will no doubt be in the movie being filmed at Pawhuska ,Ok title Killers of the Flower Moon , a story about the Osage Nation and their riches stemming from the discovery of Oil . This man is a real talent and you do not want to miss him