The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Year Is This Studio Deluxe?
Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 May 2021 11:39 am    

Just bought a Fender Studio Deluxe that was actually listed as a Deluxe 6 string in its listing on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/ca/item/40586471-fender-deluxe-six-6-string-lap-steel-guitar

It was not cheap especially with shipping and customs duty charges (coming from New Orleans to Toronto, ON.)

SO I am pretty sure that this item was not sold as described: "For sale is a vintage 50's Fender 6 string Lap Steel Guitar with the original legs and case. This item comes with a metal USA slide and has minimal surface damage on the body. Please note that the legs have wear and tear from age."

First it is a Studio Deluxe not a Deluxe model....the Deluxe had two pickups and the Studio Deluxe had a single pickup....(see first two photos below from 1956 and 1957 catalogs respectively). I realize this may not be through any fault of the seller....I must admit I didn't realize all of this until after the item was purchased and actually arrived for me to be sure....after lengthy research. AND I prefer not to return it....it cost too much just to get it here (in custom duty alone).

Second I'm pretty sure that this is not a vintage 50s lap steel....the cases were not black until mid 60s through to 70s....I have not pulled the pots to establish which year exactly (and prefer not to mess around with any way, especially if I have to return it)....but it is most definitely not a vintage 50s as described....look at the first photo and you will see for yourself that the 50s Studio Deluxe had a tweed case not black (to match amp)....I have included photos from other Fender catalogs from 1964-65 and 1970....the black cases do not appear until 1964-65....and were still being used until the Studio Deluxe ceased to be sold in 1970s (see example from 1970 catalog).

SO any thoughts on what year it is?

If possible I would like to get some monies back from the initial purchase price that I paid....especially if this lap steel is worth far less than seller had listed for....

I am not trying to be unfair but I feel that I did not get what I expected I had bought....and as described in the listing....I would be willing to accept whatever the seller feels is fair in regard to compensation all considering....or should I just return this Fender Studio Deluxe (not Deluxe) and ask for full refund (not only my purchase price but also shipping and custom duty charges).

Any thoughts?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2021 12:06 pm    

Hard to judge the exact year unless there are dates penciled in under the tuning pan or mounting plate. Guesstimate mid-60s to early '70s. Definitely a Studio Deluxe, not a Deluxe Six. Something about those legs is hinky, doubtful they're standard issue Fullerton.

It looks to be in nice shape, but you definitely did not get what you paid for. Apples & oranges.

Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 May 2021 3:05 pm    

I had decided to return this for full refund....just too many things not right about....not as described in listing....not 50s (more likely mid 60s to 7os)....legs all wrong (not adjustable)....when asked seller about he got more than a little 'uppity'....had to put a request through Reverb to get refund approved....not a happy transaction....plus out a couple of hundred for custom charges....and have to pay for shipping back....SO after much thought I decided to bite the bullet and keep the Fender....hopefully get proper legs for....besides got two great lap steels in 50s National and Tom Pettingill

Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 May 2021 7:45 pm    

I found legs for through this Forum....at a great price....I love this Forum.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 22 May 2021 11:34 pm    

Mike Ormsby wrote:
....and have to pay for shipping back....

If the item is not as described, you absolutely should not have to pay for return shipping (and should also be refunded the shipping you paid to get it).

Unfortunately, there's probably nothing that can be done about the customs fees.

Of course, the seller would probably be liable for customs fees when he recieved it back so should be open to a partial refund instead of a return as that would lose him more money.

In fairness to the seller, Fender has been very inconsistent with model names on their steels and it can be confusing if you aren't a steel guitar geek. If there was a picture in the original listing, you can't really claim that you were expecting it to have 2 pickups and metal tuners.

Yes, it was incorrectly described as being a 50s model but, if it's any consolation, the age of the instrument seems to have absolutely no bearing on its value with Fender steels. Of course, the seller was at fault to describe it as 50s though.

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 3:51 am     Re: What Year Is This Studio Deluxe?

Please correct me if I am mistaken but those pictures in the original post are the seller’s, not Mr. Ormsby’s right?

“I must admit I didn't realize all of this until after the item was purchased and actually arrived for me to be sure....after lengthy research.”

So you did the research AFTER you bought it? What?? Rolling Eyes

I guess its easy to take for-granted the most basic Fender knowledge, like logo and case material history. But nonetheless, literally everything is in those 3 pictures. Five minutes of research would have told you that, at the very least, its not from the 50s!

James Knox

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 5:24 am    

Hi Mike,

So sorry This has happened to you, but I have a couple of thoughts...

First, that is a cool Guitar! No, not what was described and definitely NOT the guitar pictured in that listing. It like the Seller took pictures and listed one guitar, but accidentally (or fraudulently) shipped the “other guitar”. What you got is probably a 70’s guitar based on the Logo and Black Case, but still a nice Vintage Instrument.

Next, I think you made a good choice to keep it. Once you get those new “correct” legs on it, find a fun Tuning and start learning songs, you will be able to get past the awful buying experience you have had. Every time you sit down to play it, you will be turning something negative from your life into something positive. Music can do that!

Finally, it might be too late, but try to go for the “post sale discount”. Maybe Reverb Protection can help you. Point out to them it’s not even the guitar in the listing. Maybe the Seller will give back some of his profit margin to avoid having to take it back and resell it. I would think a couple hundred bucks, or maybe at least what you had to pay for the new legs would be fair.

Peace,

James

Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 5:27 am     Re: What Year Is This Studio Deluxe?

Joe A. Roberts wrote:
Please correct me if I am mistaken but those pictures in the original post are the seller’s, not Mr. Ormsby’s right?

“I must admit I didn't realize all of this until after the item was purchased and actually arrived for me to be sure....after lengthy research.”

So you did the research AFTER you bought it? What?? Rolling Eyes

I guess its easy to take for-granted the most basic Fender knowledge, like logo and case material history. But nonetheless, literally everything is in those 3 pictures. Five minutes of research would have told you that, at the very least, its not from the 50s!

Not that this should matter as I have decided to keep but I admit that I did not complete research until after item was bought....though seller claimed he had paperwork to verify as 50s several times despite my suspicions otherwise (colour of case first clue)....the photos shown of instrument are by seller....AND now I have done better research I know better...maybe even as much as being able to know in five minutes at only 3 photos. I admit that I should have done more thorough research BEFORE buying but I didn't....STILL the item was not as listed....AND seller still wanted to go on about how had verified by serial number (even after I explained cannot date Fender lap steels by serial number....see I have learned that much)

Last edited by Mike Ormsby on 23 May 2021 5:41 am; edited 2 times in total

Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 5:36 am    

James Knox wrote:
Hi Mike,

So sorry This has happened to you, but I have a couple of thoughts...

First, that is a cool Guitar! No, not what was described and definitely NOT the guitar pictured in that listing. It like the Seller took pictures and listed one guitar, but accidentally (or fraudulently) shipped the “other guitar”. What you got is probably a 70’s guitar based on the Logo and Black Case, but still a nice Vintage Instrument.

Next, I think you made a good choice to keep it. Once you get those new “correct” legs on it, find a fun Tuning and start learning songs, you will be able to get past the awful buying experience you have had. Every time you sit down to play it, you will be turning something negative from your life into something positive. Music can do that!

Finally, it might be too late, but try to go for the “post sale discount”. Maybe Reverb Protection can help you. Point out to them it’s not even the guitar in the listing. Maybe the Seller will give back some of his profit margin to avoid having to take it back and resell it. I would think a couple hundred bucks, or maybe at least what you had to pay for the new legs would be fair.

Peace,

James

Actually if seller had offered just that it would have resolved everything....as for going through any more hassle with the seller I decided not to....just keep it and enjoy it....it is not a 50s....looking at pots will date precisely....just consider it lesson learned....I love my other lap steels (50s National and Tom Pettingill) and learning much as play more and also from this forum....this Fender will be just as well appreciated.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 5:44 am    

Just repeating a perhaps worn-out caveat from around here...pots won't date precisely. They'll give you assurance (if they are original) that the guitar is no older than the dates...but apparently Fender kept large inventories of pots around for years (so the conventional wisdom goes).

Case looks roughly '67 to '72 based on the logo.

Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 6:58 am    

Nic Neufeld wrote:
Just repeating a perhaps worn-out caveat from around here...pots won't date precisely. They'll give you assurance (if they are original) that the guitar is no older than the dates...but apparently Fender kept large inventories of pots around for years (so the conventional wisdom goes).

good to know....thinking at least mid 60s to early 70s all considered

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 7:54 am    

Mike Ormsby wrote:
Nic Neufeld wrote:

good to know....thinking at least mid 60s to early 70s all considered

Yep, mid '60s to early '70s is right, no need to take it apart. Its very yellow/ butterscotch for that era, does it smell like cigarettes?

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 8:49 am    

I suspect its a yellow refin, seeing as the legs it came with were yellow too!
Funky, but cool. I dig it.

Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 11:53 am    

legs are not original....not sure what they are from....and no sign of guitar being refinished....

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 5:56 pm    

Yeah, it looks pretty stock and clean, doesn't scream re-fin at me, just really yellowed. I have seen late '60s Teles that were that yellow.

Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 10:05 am    

I got the proper Fender legs for my Studio Deluxe....thank you Terry Roller. I'll post some pics soon....really glad I didn't return the Studio Deluxe after all.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 10:31 am    

I'm very fond of my rescue Studio Deluxe. I purchased it quite reasonably some years ago, because it was refinished candy apple red, and had been stripped of all its electronic components.

I installed a custom-made Vintage Vibe Strat-style single-coil blade pickup with a flat-ground (rather than radiused) blade, top-quality pots, tone cap, and jack. Sounds better'n any Champ I've ever played (which admittedly is not saying a whole lot). It's a keeper.

Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 12:24 pm    

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 2:59 pm    

Much better with the new legs Mike. Smile

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 7:00 am    

Looks great now.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 6:00 pm    

Mike Ormsby wrote:

Where did you get the legs? I might be getting a legless one soon. Oh, i see you bought them from Terry Roller, are they a used vintage set or new?

Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 4:24 am    

They are used/vintage....Terry was great to let me have these legs at a very fair price....they took a while to get here (pretty much walked to Canada I believe lol)....but worth the wait....again thank you Terry