The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Microsoft Support for Windows 10 Ends October 14, 2025
Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 8:51 am    

Microsoft revealed it will stop support for Windows 10 on October 14th, 2025.

Microsoft will announce the next version of Windows on June 24th, 2021.

Microsoft expects the transition to the next version of Windows to take around four years.

The announced end-of-support timeline puts the Windows 10 lifecycle at a hair over 10 years. This is similar to previous operating system iterations.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 3:55 pm    

Microsoft COVID...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2021 2:11 am    

Scott Duckworth wrote:
Microsoft COVID...

If you don't like Microsoft there is Linux. Or buy an overpriced MAC.

But Windows 11 is coming.

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 15 Jun 2021 2:36 pm    

I was just wondering what the new operating system would be. And yes, I do run Linux.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2021 3:58 pm    

If you don't like Microsoft there is Linux. Or buy an overpriced MAC.[/quote]
Apple is in switching processors, and older software is not compatible. I installed Catalina and some of my software broke. I had to buy a new version of Photoshop Elements, for example. Some of my old freeware simply cannot be replaced.

I also have an older top-of-the-line Mac Pro and it won't even load web sites that use https protocol (most sites today). Apple is worse than Microsoft in that respect. The computer itself cannot be upgraded to a modern OS, even though it has enough RAM, disk space and processing power. Built-in obsolescence. Mad

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 2:21 am    

I noticed that with Apple. Every time they upgrade OS vendors have to update their drivers and apps to be compatible.

I have MOTU recording interface hardware and I see notices from MOTU about upgrading their MAC software.

Windows 10, newer versions, is slowly dropping support for older hardware. But it still has "compatibility modes" for older software.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 4:47 am    

I'll update my comment on "Windows 11" again. The tenforums.com was dissing calling it Windows 11. Now they are embracing it and even created a Windows 11 forum.

Stay tuned, who knows what it finally is.

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 18 Jun 2021 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 6:33 am    

b0b wrote:
...Apple is worse than Microsoft in that respect. The computer itself cannot be upgraded to a modern OS, even though it has enough RAM, disk space and processing power. Built-in obsolescence. Mad

Well, as far as I know, you can install Linux on it.... Very Happy

A Mac game I wrote in the '80s, Cap'n Magneto, has undergone a brief resurgence of interest lately. I can run it in emulations of a Mac Quadra 800, run the original version (written for the Apple ///) in an emulator on my desktop Mac, but can't run the final Mac OSX version from 2005 on any current machine.

Since the Austin American-Statesman was doing a story on me and my game, I bought a 2005 Mac Mini (like the one I had when I released the OSX version) off eBay for a total of $92, so I could get some screen shots. It still works as well as it ever did. I even found an $8 Bluetooth dongle that lets me use modern keyboards and mice.

(The story, if you're interested...)
https://www.statesman.com/in-depth/news/2021/05/13/al-evans-capn-magneto-videogame-creator-persevered-after-injury/7185492002/

--Al Evans

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 5:42 pm    

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/f-microsoft.163596/post-2109699
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 7:00 am    

Quote:
If you don't like Microsoft there is Linux. Or buy an overpriced MAC.

b0b wrote:
Apple is in switching processors, and older software is not compatible. I installed Catalina and some of my software broke. I had to buy a new version of Photoshop Elements, for example. Some of my old freeware simply cannot be replaced.

I also have an older top-of-the-line Mac Pro and it won't even load web sites that use https protocol (most sites today). Apple is worse than Microsoft in that respect. The computer itself cannot be upgraded to a modern OS, even though it has enough RAM, disk space and processing power. Built-in obsolescence. Mad

Bob, I'm with you. It seems that the folks that write operating systems for money want to "force" changes on you, even to businesses. That's what I like about Linux, I can upgrade when I want to, and their operating systems are being expanded to use even more drivers.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 7:31 am    

Hardware evolves, the hardware companies focus their staff on the new hardware. Software companies put their energy into support for the new hardware technologies. Operating Systems are updated to take advantage of new technology and old technology falls by the wayside. A never ending cycle. I spent the last 23 years of my career as a Regional LAN/WAN Network and Hardware Help Desk manager for SSA. One thing was certain, change.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2021 5:46 am    

So, does anyone (besides Microsoft) recommend going with 11 now?

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2021 8:10 am    

I'm going to take my time upgrading. Windows 10 WILL be supported until 2025 so there is no rush.

I believe by the time Windows 10 support ends in 2025, Microsoft should have most of the kinks worked out.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW