The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  question about lowering G# strings...
Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 12:22 pm    

I've been thinking about variations of the G# to G change on strings 3&6 for standard E9. (or 3, 6 & 10/11 for ext E9/Universal).

If you have some version of this on your set up, I'd like to know what you like about it.

I've seen some players pull one string to A and lower the other to G, and others will lower both to G. I can see the harmonic/melodic advantages of all these different approaches but would like to hear other points of view.

The table here outlines a few variations. It is by no means exhaustive of all possibilities, just a handful of versions I have observed or thought about.
Obviously, the other variables in one's copedant factor in here too but this a broad strokes look at these options.

I'm particularly interested in the 4th option, where the 3rd string remains G#, and the
6th goes to A for a maj7 interval. If there's a 10th/11th string that lowers to G as well, it would be a great utility pedal that creates min11 sounds in the low register but maintains the maj7 possibilities up higher. It might demand too much selective picking though to avoid the clashing tones...

Vic Chaney

Vallejo, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 4:16 pm     I like option 1

I put option 1 on my left knee right. It gives a whole new place for minor chords, and also gives a flatted third for a bluesy sound when playing rock or blues.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 5:47 pm    

I have your option #1 (lower 3 & 6) on a zero pedal. I like to use it with the A pedal for a nice diminished chord. I find it easy to use that way - mashing both pedals at once.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 6:01 pm     Same same almost

Eric Dahlhoff wrote:
I have your option #1 (lower 3 & 6) on a zero pedal. I like to use it with the A pedal for a nice diminished chord. I find it easy to use that way - mashing both pedals at once.

I was going to say the same, kind of....
Thats the same place (0 Pedal) I have it and for the same reason. That cool diminished chord and the easy minors and blues licks.
Same same almost but I have my 2nd & 9th strings tuned to C# and raise them by knee levers.
I also lower my 10th string B to A on the "A" pedal that usually raises it to C#.
I do that to get A6 all the way across and all the E9th knee levers work well in the A6th pedal down position. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 12:55 am    

Aside from all the musical thinking, I'm reluctant to lower 3. I feel it may last longer if it's left to do one thing only.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 6:28 pm    

If you have a string 6 split with pedal B and lowering it from G# > F# on a lever, you end with with your Option 3, an Adom7. Very handy!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 11:12 pm    

That split setup is so versatile I wouldn't be without it. Two objects (one pedal, one lever) give you four notes (A, G#, G, F#).

rick andrews

Westminster Co 80031
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 5:30 am    

I lower 3, 6 and 10 on my left vertical knee. Though I seldom use it on the lowest G#.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 7:51 am    

Some great perspectives offered here, thanks fellas.

Still no thoughts on "option 4" with string 3 left untouched? Wink

Jim Peter

Mendon,Mich USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 11:14 am    

I have option one on my 0 pedal. By engaging that and my A pedal I have a Dom7th chord without the root note.