The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PF's Nashville Steel Guitar Camp
Franklin

Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 6:36 pm    

Hi Everyone-

I thought I'd let you in on what's going on with the Nashville Steel Guitar Camp and to give some background on why I decided to hold it now. I’ve been wanting to do something like this for several years, and the combination of pandemic-reduced schedules and just good fortune made it all come together this year. What a treat!

The Nashville Steel Guitar Camp will be an annual event, with a different theme and a different roster each year. I think the pedal steel guitar community deserves a camp where teaching and mentoring are the focus. I am not at all interested in competing with the many great steel conventions we have, I wanted to do something totally different.

This first year’s theme, if you will, is Learn From The Legends. I wanted to assemble as many of the innovators as I could. Players that have contributed their original sounds and ideas to so many hit records that have influenced us all these past several decades.

Check out the credits on AllMusic Guide for these incredible players. It's a Who's Who list of Country, Jazz, Country Rock and Pop artists. Each one has a special place in contributing to the function, the sound, and the popularity of our instrument. If you played pedal steel in a Country or Rock band from about 1965 on, you’ve likely learned the licks and styles that these players created.

There's never been a chance to meet and mingle with this kind of lineup since the peak of Scotty’s shows in St. Louis. The Camp's emphasis will be on teaching and learning. The instructors will be sharing thoughts, approaches, concepts, stories and philosophies. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to absorb a good portion of the collected knowledge of some of the most recorded, copied and beloved musicians in their field.

I want to personally thank my friends and fellow teachers for taking the time to appear and for helping me put this together. I know this will be a special event for everyone.

For those of you attending this year, we’ve got some Special Guests and surprises planned that I’m sure you will enjoy. Bring an open mind, a learner’s heart and fill your souls up with musical inspiration from this year's historic gathering of mentors.

Paul Franklin

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 6:38 pm    

I am so excited about Paul’s concept and vision for the Steel Guitar Camp!
No doubt, this will be an historic event for steel players, fans and enthusiasts.
I’ll be there on Sunday! 🤗

David Whyte

Ireland
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 2:29 pm    

I would LOVE to be there. Best of luck with it Paul!

Bill Edwards

Centerton, AR
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2021 4:13 am    

I am all signed up looking forward to hear some great tips from many of the masters of the instrument

Terry Denney

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 4:55 pm    

Can't wait. I was one of the first to sign up. Also hoping to get a little golf in on Friday morning. I'm from AZ. Believe me when I say that I play golf alot better than I play steel. lol

Don Aycock

Hollister, FL
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2021 7:34 am    

I'll be going to Paul Franklin's music camp near Nashville in August. Since I'm new at psg and I've never attended anything like this I'm wondering what to expect. I've read the schedule, but what is the real experience like? Taking a drink from a fire hose?
Anyone want to share you past experiences with this kind of school?
Also, I'll be flying. I'd like to take my steel (single neck) but wonder if it's safe to check. Any experience here, too?
Thanks.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2021 1:25 pm    

Hi Don-

Paul is tied up in rehearsals at the moment. He asked that we reply and share some of his thoughts with you regarding your questions.

There really has not been anything in the past that compares one-to-one to this Camp. The amount of access to a dozen legendary teachers/presenters has never been available before in a classroom-emphasis format.

Don't worry about how long you've been playing, there will be valuable insights for every stage of player. You'll be able to ask any questions and will likely come up with many questions you had not considered before as the weekend progresses.

The very first class will cover how to learn without a guitar (no guitars needed in the classrooms). There'll be a 35+ page printed booklet included in your registration packet that is a year's worth of study alone, portions of which Paul will be covering in class.

You'll be learning concepts and approaches: the how and why these players go about looking at the pedal steel ...and what they are thinking about when tasked with playing intros, fills, solos, etc.

It won't be about learning a bunch of licks. Licks will be no doubt be used to demonstrate the thought processes and methods of each player when needed. It's more important for a student to learn and analyze the approaches than the end result. Plenty of blank note and TAB paper will be
provided if you want to document what is being played.

Three large projector screens will have an overhead camera shot on them during the classroom periods so you can see what is happening from the player's perspective. You can record audio of the classes to refer to later.

Workshops about tube amplifiers from Little Walter Amplifiers guru Phil Bradbury, and tips on guitar setups and maintenance from the great Mike Scaggs and Wayne Dahl will be presented. There's not much those guys don't know about their fields of expertise. Lots to learn from all of them.

Jerry Douglas will be there to talk about the Dobro and his own multiple Grammy-winning level of musicianship. A chance to pick the brain of a Master like Jerry is a rare occurrence. Even if you don't play Dobro, there's plenty to earn from Jerry's style of note choices, touch/tone, phrasing, dynamics, backing a singer and improv concepts that you can take away and apply to your own instrument.

There will be concerts each night to hear many of the instructor/players perform and showcase their unique styles. After each show there'll be opportunities to talk to the players about the performances. In general it's an historic opportunity to hangout with your peers and learn from a great collection of stylists spanning the past several decades.

Hope that gives you some ideas about what the vibe will be like. Paul is out of pocket the next few days, he may jump in and add to this later in the week. In the meantime, feel free to ask more questions and we'll try to answer them!

John at MMM

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2021 8:54 am    

Any decision yet on the airport shuttle. Anything that costs less than a taxi or Uber sounds good to me.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 5:17 am     Attn.: John Spaulding

Larry Hamilton wrote:
Any decision yet on the airport shuttle. Anything that costs less than a taxi or Uber sounds good to me.

Hi John -

Any decision yet? I know you said response was weak, which is kind of surprising...

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 7:22 am    

Frank-

Apparently the majority of folks have already made other plans for transportation. Only 8 indicated they would be interested so far.

We're looking at possible alternatives, maybe renting a 15-passenger van and driving it ourselves. We'll post any details about that as they happen. Thanks!

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 7:29 am    

I am considering renting a car for transportation from BNA to the Camp. I am arriving BNA at 12;05 on the 13th and departing 9:05 on the 16th. If the Camp is not able to provide transportation, would anyone be interested in sharing the cost of the vehicle with me.

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 7:31 am    

How funny MMM and I are on the same page. John was posting while I was typing Laughing

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2021 1:28 am    

Larry, sent you a PM.

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2021 6:27 am    

Frank, replied. 👍