The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Lap Steel Tuning Changer: Sold
Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 9:27 pm    

I have no plans to re-use this Lap Steel Tuning Changer that was on the 1956 Dewey Kendrick pedal steel that I'm re-building.

Seems to work on some kind of cam action the raises some strings and lowers others at the same time with a shift of the lever... I'm not sure what tuning it was intended to be used for or what it was to change it to?
Maybe it changes A6th to C6th or B11th. I really have no idea.

It's for an 8 string steel. I guess that Dewey Kendrick soldered the extensions on two of the string fingers to use it from under his steel with a pedal?
What ever it was set up for it was not working right when I got the steel.
Looks like the extensions would be easy to cut down to the same size as the other 8 fingers.

I also have no idea what the value of these would be, but I'm open to reasonable offers.
Should fit in a small Priority Mailing box and ship in the lower 48 for about $8.00
If you are interested send me a message?

I'll try to get some closer photos of the parts & cam shaft tomorrow with my iPhone to post.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 18 Jun 2021 12:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2021 8:00 am     Dang me! Otta take a rope and hang me!

Dang me, Dang me! Otta take a rope and hang me!
I went and posted the up close photos on the wrong page.
Maybe Bob or someone can move it here for me because I already trashed the photos on my computer?
Here is the link to the thread I stuck it on by mistake.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3017974#3017974
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 1:17 pm    

From Andy's post here, with the pictures - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3017974
Quote:

Here are photos from just about every angle.

You can see the changer cam between the two levers. The finger ends ride on the cam.
Some are activated and others are not.

Also the square ends of the fingers where the strings go in and come out the other end where they then go over the round bridge.

You can also see the extension long fingers that someone added. They would be easy to cut off leaving just the original short fingers.

The bass end is the side near the lever with the nice ball end.

Sorry for the not so great photos. I'm not very good with the iPhone camera and just the room lighting.

Andy - Gary posted the pictures for you, but made an extra accidental post with just his signature line. I can see why you may have thought it was directed at you, but it was just a posting mistake.

Gary - Andy saw "For Andy" and then an extra post with just your signature line. I hope you can see why he might have taken offense.

I'm moving all that stuff to where nobody can see it, and closing the thread since the item is sold. Back to your regularly scheduled programs, all.