The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Profex II cache card
Terry Smith

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2021 7:45 am    

I bought a Prevey Profex II with all the various steels effects on the cache card from Jeff Newman 20 years ago. Recently I was getting a message that said the battery on the card needed to be changed. In the process of changing it, I lost all my Jeff Newman sounds on the card. Does anyone know if there is a place where I can go to have the sounds replenished or am I pretty much dead in the water?

Thanks in advance. Terry Smith

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2021 8:32 am    

Terry, I have a cache card with most of the presets from Newman. I altered several and saved them to the card, so not all are original. If nobody else responds you can send me your card and I will transfer what I have. I do believe Ken Fox has the original and can be contacted through the forum. There is a description sheet available that Jack Stoner made and I have it saved as a PDF. That would be a slow process of entering all by hand. When I changed my battery I knew it would loose them so I did it with it plugged in to the Profex II. That kept me from loosing them. Hope this helps.
Here is the PDF link.
http://steelguitarforum.com/profexii.pdf

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2021 8:39 am     Battery

You need to put in a new 2016 battery. Reinitialize the card. That will load your settting back on to the card

Terry Smith

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2021 9:38 am    

I had the battery in the Profex unit changed about 2 years ago. When I got this message again, I took it to the same tech person in a music store who told me it was the battery in the card this time. He put a new battery in the card but in the process lost my sounds. Now when I insert the card now it says "Not a Profex II card.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2021 10:02 am    

That is exactly what will happen The card must initialized It will load the settings from your Profex onto the card.

The RAM card acts as a memory extension for the storage of 128 additional presets and 128 additional programs. Presets can be accessed individually and played directly off the RAM cartridge without the need to load them into the user memory. The 128 additional programs appear as program bank C and can be setup to point to any preset in the Cartridge, User, or Factory preset memory. Insert the card with the small metal cover down. The metal cover is inserted first into the card slot. The cover protects the small connections on the card’s edge. This cover slides back as the card is inserted to expose the small metal connections on the card. It will snap into place when inserted correctly.

Note: The RAM Cartridge menus are accessed through the Global button

Initializing a new card:

Initializing a new cartridge: A new cartridge (or one that has had the battery replaced) must be initialized for use with a Profex 2, Transtubefex or Tubefex. To do this, select the CART menu. Place the cursor under IN for initialize. And press the Store/Exec button.

WARNING: INITIALIZING THE RAM CARTRIDGE WILL OVERWRITE ALL CURRENT DATA ON THE CARD WITH THE USER PRESETS.

Terry Smith

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 7:04 am    

Thanks Ken and Larry for your responses. Ken, thanks for the detailed instructions. I will give them a try today.

Terry Smith

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 9:59 am    

Ken. I was able to do all the steps to initialize the card. When I got to the last step and pushed the Store/Exec button, it tells me the card is "write protected". That is as far as it will let me go. Any thoughts?

Terry Smith

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 10:12 am    

Ken, I was able to find the button on the card for 'write protection" and I switched it off. I then followed through with save/execute. I push the button back to "write protection", went back to the main menu and after searching the card found the C bank again with all the presets. Thanks so much for all your help! Terry Smith

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 2:31 pm    

Terry, glad you got it sorted out. Ken is the guru. Good luck.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2021 7:48 am    

Glad to help out

Terry Smith

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 10:50 am    

Hi Ken. I thought my problem was fixed but looks like I have another issue. I just had a back surgery and the Profex unit is close to the floor in my rack. I am not suppose to bend for several weeks so my wife was helping me with pushing the buttons on the Profex unit. After we were able to see the C bank on the card I thought I was good to go. At that point I didn't bother to check out the presets. Today I went to look at the presets on the C bank and they are not the ones from Jeff Newman. They are a duplication of the presets on the A bank. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 12:02 pm    

Sounds like your card needs to be reloaded with steel settings

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 12:21 pm     card

If you initialize a card it loads whatever presets are in the A bank

Terry Smith

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2021 4:06 am    

Is there a place where I can go to have my card reloaded with the Jeff Newman presets?

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2021 4:11 am     Card reload

Not sure. I don’t have a Profex at this time. I’ll have one in about a week. Hopefully it will have a good card reader if so I’ll be glad to reload it.

Have you also eliminated the battery from your Profex? Very important they all leak eventually

Terry Smith

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2021 6:50 am    

Yes, I had the leaking battery problem fixed about 3 years ago on the Profex unit. Let me know if you do obtain a good card reader. I will be more than glad to pay you for reloading the Jeff Newman presets. Thanks Ken!

Terry Smith

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 7:02 am    

Hi Ken. Were you ever able to obtain another Profex unit with a good card reader? Terry Smith