The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Usps
Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 6:04 pm    

Well I sent out a Hudson Resonator Pedal resonator Guitar last week. Customer got it today. USPS destroyed it.
It was packed very well. But USPS must have ran over it with a truck.
I need a file to sharpen my teeth. Tough to eat a steel guitar. But It has to be done.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2021 7:03 am    

just curious.....did you insure it for full value?

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2021 1:58 pm     yes

Ross Shafer wrote:
just curious.....did you insure it for full value?
yes but they don't pay well anymore.
at most I expect to get $400.00 from usps.If they pay anything at all.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2021 3:24 pm    

Do you have any before and after pictures?

Last edited by Pete Burak on 17 Jun 2021 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2021 4:13 pm     Usps

I had an interesting damage claim with the USPS once. I insured an item for full value, $395.00. It got damaged but luckily the part that got damaged could be replaced for $35.00, which I did, and then sent it back to the buyer. I filed a claim for $35.00 plus shipping. They told me the only way they would pay a claim is if the entire piece was returned to them and they would pay me the full $395.00 insured value of the item but would not pay $35.00 for damage. Also, they would keep the item once it was returned. I told them I was letting them off cheap. Why would they want to pay $395.00 when they could get off for $35.00. The buyer did not want to return the item or pay for damage since he paid extra for insurance. I never collected a dime.

UPS told me if I insure an item, it only covers loss, not damage.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 5:26 am     Re: Usps

George Kimery wrote:

UPS told me if I insure an item, it only covers loss, not damage.

As a retired postal clerk, the information you were told sounded wrong to me, so I looked it up. The USPS insurance cover repair costs. https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Domestic-Claims-The-Basics

Quote:
What is proof of value?

Proof of value proves an item’s value or any required repair costs. Either the mailer or the addressee must submit acceptable proof to establish the cost or value of the merchandise at the time it was mailed. If you are filing your claim online, evidence may be uploaded or mailed in with your claim. Examples are:

1. A sales receipt, paid invoice or bill of sale, or statement of value from a reputable dealer.
2. Paid repair bills; if the claim is for partial damage, estimates of repair costs or appraisals from a reputable dealer. Repair costs may not exceed the original purchase price.
3. Receipt or invoice for the costs incurred to buy a surety bond required to reissue a lost item.
4. Receipt or invoice of costs incurred for the reconstruction of non-negotiable documents.
5. A copy of a credit card statement or other documentation indicating the amount paid.
6. For Internet transactions conducted through a Web-based payment network that offers payment services through a stored value account, provide a computer printout of the online transaction identifying the purchaser and seller, price paid, date of transaction, description of item purchased, and assurance that the transaction status is completed. The printout must clearly identify the Web-based payment network provider through which the Internet transaction was conducted.

Many clerks (myself included) don't have a lot of experience processing insurance claims, beyond finding the correct form to get the process started. In my 29 yrs working in a small post office, I only handled a handful of claims, and most of them were for total damage. In those cases, the item had to be surrendered before payment was made. One time, I had a claim for a framed shadowbox which arrived with the glass broken. It had been made by a family member and had more sentimental value than it was worth. I took money out of petty cash and went to the hardware store, bought some glass and fixed it myself for the customer. Postal regulations are complex, and sometimes it just depends on what clerk you deal with.

Last edited by Tommy Mc on 19 Jun 2021 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 6:57 am    

Tommy,
Thank you for that info!!!

I love my local post office & the people who work there. But the wider world of postal shipping really seems overloaded and falling apart. Oh Well