The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I'm looking for a teacher - C6th Lap Steel Lessons
Daniel Wanless

Olympia WA - Living near Stamford England
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2021 7:43 am    

Please contact me if you can provide a C6th curriculum and Skype/Zoom/Teams type lessons. I am from Washington State, but I live in rural eastern England and it's slim pickings over here for this type of instrument.

I’ve had a lap steel for 3 years and I’ve worked through a number of Troy Brenningmeyer’s C6th lessons and his How Great Thou Art tutorial. I’ve also worked my way through Jerry Byrd’s book up to the music theory section, where the wheels have slowed a bit. Lately I’ve been focusing on scales, scale positions and reading music. I can read music very slowly (my 8 year old daughter is much faster), so I am kind of at the stage of trying to gain music reading skills and applying this to lap steel. I should have tied more of my learning together by now, but it all seems compartmentalized and was thinking a tutor is probably what I need for direction/guidance to bring it all together. I would like to focus on C6th for now and see where that takes me. I have been a huge fan of David Lindley’s playing since I was a teenager (I’m now in my 40s), but also have a love for Junior Brown, western swing style steel and the sounds I hear throughout Americana music. I appreciate Hawaiian music, but that is not what I want to focus on.

Thanks for reading this!

Daniel

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2021 11:17 pm    

Daniel,

I would highly recommend John Ely who teaches via Skype. He is highly regarded by Forum members both as a musician and teacher. You can reach him at:

http://www.hawaiiansteel.com/lessons/lessons.php

Daniel Wanless

Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 12:23 am    

Don Kona Woods wrote:
Daniel,

I would highly recommend John Ely who teaches via Skype. He is highly regarded by Forum members both as a musician and teacher. You can reach him at:

http://www.hawaiiansteel.com/lessons/lessons.php

Thanks Don - I emailed him a week or so ago and he isn't currently taking new students. I've now made contact with a great candidate through Instagram, so we'll see what happens...

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 4:10 am    

Alan Akaka. One of the top 3, IMHO.

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 5:22 am    

John Limbach wrote:

Would you share the other 2 In the top 3 IYO? There do not seem to be a lot of choices.

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 5:45 am    

Doug Taylor wrote:
John Limbach wrote:

Would you share the other 2 In the top 3 IYO? There do not seem to be a lot of choices.

Well, John Ely, whom I studied with for a few years but as you know he's cutting back a lot due to several issues.

And Margie Mays, in Mesa, AZ. I've been trying to talk her into doing Skype or Zoom lessons.

Now that he's retired (from his day job of 40 years), it would be great if Bobby Ingano would do internet lessons. Arguably one of, if not the greatest, living lap steel talents. His protege, Jeff Au Hoy is a close second and fantastic artist in his own right.

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 5:48 am    

Thanks

Brian Cheetham

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 10:48 am     Great teacher

Look up forum member Steve Cunningham. You can see him play on YouTube ever so often at the “SingingStringMusic” channel.

Daniel Wanless

Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 11:18 am     Re: Great teacher

Brian Cheetham wrote:
Look up forum member Steve Cunningham. You can see him play on YouTube ever so often at the “SingingStringMusic” channel.

I’m familiar with Steve’s videos. Thanks for the recommendation.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 1:09 pm    

but also have a love for Junior Brown, western swing style steel and the sounds I hear throughout Americana music.

The legend! Yeah the guy on the right with the Cowboy hat! Laughing
It was a great concert and Jr.was kind enough to sign my lap steel. When I had the back off the steel I enclosed the two tickets to the show. I figure when I'm long gone and the new owner opens it up, it will be a pleasant surprise and much better than finding crumbled up newspaper inside. (Leo) LOL

Daniel Wanless

Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 1:14 pm    

I doubt he makes it to England very often, but I’m going to see him the first chance I get. My 8 year old is a huge fan as well.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 1:26 pm    

That concert was 4 miles away from my house. Things are starting to loosen up with Covid over here so hopefully I can go see a good concert soon. Been a long time.