The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peterson Tuner Sweeteners Question
Steven Schwartz

Longview Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2021 5:33 pm    

Peterson offers 2 sweeteners for pedal steel. EM9 and EP9. My question is when to use each sweetener. These sweeteners are Described as Emmons Style.

My guess is to use the EM9 for tuning all 10 open string. Then I switch to EP9 for all the raises and lowers.

Is this right?

Thanks for any help. I am using Strobosoft on my iPhone with a Peterson adapter. The sweetners and the additional tools make this a great tuner if you have an iPhone.

Alex Stewart

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2021 6:35 pm    

No expert, but here is some more info.

This first pdf is older, I think, but shows the difference between Jeff Newman's *newer* tuning (SE9), his older tuning (OE9) and Emmons (EM9). Looks like it was made before they had the *P* (pedal) sweetener options.

http://76.12.22.162/media/pdf/StroboPlus_Steel.pdf

And brief, kind of uninformative descriptions of the sweeteners:

https://www.petersontuners.com/products/stroboStompHD/presets/

I am a novice, but have played other instruments all my life, so I have some 'ear'. I use the SE9 for open *and* for my pedals/levers. The SP9 doesn't sound good to me. And yes, when I tune my pedals/levers I press common pedal/lever chord combinations to reflect cabinet drop and real-world playing.

The reason I picked the Newman sweeteners is the story about him going around and measuring all the big name guys' tunings during their breaks and finding this is where they all seemed to sit.

Maybe the story isn't true...I don't know. Also doesn't explain why there is a different Emmons tuning. You would have thought Newman included him in his research.

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2021 7:15 pm     Re: Peterson Tuner Sweeteners Question

Steven Schwartz wrote:
Peterson offers 2 sweeteners for pedal steel. EM9 and EP9. My question is when to use each sweetener. These sweeteners are Described as Emmons Style.

My guess is to use the EM9 for tuning all 10 open string. Then I switch to EP9 for all the raises and lowers.

Is this right?

Thanks for any help. I am using Strobosoft on my iPhone with a Peterson adapter. The sweetners and the additional tools make this a great tuner if you have an iPhone.

Yes, the EM9 is intended for your open string tuning and the EP9 is intended for your pedals and levers/raises and lowers.

Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2021 8:12 pm    

Yep, what the others said. Not to be too negative, but the pedals down sweetener never really did much for me… was just discussing with another player buddy as well. Your mileage may vary, but I like to tune open with the SE9 and fine tune the mechanical changes by ear on whatever guitar I’m playing..

Ask a dozen steelers about tuning, get a dozen different opinions… 😎

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 2:07 am    

I use the Newman Sweeteners. I have my own that has the opens and pedals and knees in one program for E9th and same for C6th.

On the Newman C6th tuning, he must have used Buddy Emmons. I tuned the open strings on my C6th using Buddy's harmonic tuning and then checked it with the Newman and it was right on.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 8:09 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I have my own that has the opens and pedals and knees in one program for E9th…

I wish I could do that ! How do you do it ? Thanks.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 9:01 am    

John Sluszny wrote:
Jack Stoner wrote:
I have my own that has the opens and pedals and knees in one program for E9th…

I wish I could do that ! How do you do it ? Thanks.

You have to have a StroboPlus HD or StroboClip HD tuner. Older tuners do not have the capability. Peterson Connect is used to make and load the programs to the tuner.
I'll get more info and post or e-mail me and I'll send you my chart.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 10:08 am    

Jack Stoner, pm sent ! 😉

Allen Merrell

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 4:43 pm    

I started with SE9 and SP9 for the pedals and levers and worked fine for me and I am not a professional. I am using the sweetner by Mickey Adams and find it works very well and easy for me. It is on the Peterson site.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2021 6:37 am    

Allen Merrell wrote:
I started with SE9 and SP9 for the pedals and levers and worked fine for me and I am not a professional. I am using the sweetner by Mickey Adams and find it works very well and easy for me. It is on the Peterson site.

Ditto, the MA9 sweetener works like a charm.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2021 12:01 pm     Re: Peterson Tuner Sweeteners Question

Steven Schwartz wrote:
Peterson offers 2 sweeteners for pedal steel. EM9 and EP9.

With the in-app sweetener upgrade, you should have your choice of way more than 2 sweeteners for pedal steel. At least, that's the info on the Peterson website.

Steven Schwartz wrote:

My question is when to use each sweetener. These sweeteners are Described as Emmons Style.

Is this right?

Yes. EM9 is based on an Emmons style tuning. EM9 is for the open strings, and EP9 is for tuning the pedals and levers. (Peterson uses "P" to denote the sweetener is for pedals/levers)

OE9 and OP9 sweeteners are based on the Jeff Newman offsets.

SE9 and SP9 are the same offsets as the Newman tuning, but raised 9.8 cents so the flattened notes don't sound so flat against other instruments.

Instruments and ears vary, so it's worth giving the different offsets a try. FWIW, I started with the Emmons sweetener, but am currently using OE9...it sounds better on my guitar. YMMV