The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  WTB 10” Speaker
Ben Erhart

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 8:02 am    

Hey all. Looking for a 10” speaker for a Fender Pro Jr. amp, hoping for something that will help the headroom (I’ve already had it modded to run a bit cooler, the stock speaker just wants to break up at 4 instead of at a higher volume). I don’t really mind what model or make the speaker is, as long as it has good clean headroom. Let me know what y’all got!
Jackson Maverick HD

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 9:48 am     Re: WTB 10” Speaker

Ben Erhart wrote:
Hey all. Looking for a 10” speaker for a Fender Pro Jr. amp, hoping for something that will help the headroom (I’ve already had it modded to run a bit cooler, the stock speaker just wants to break up at 4 instead of at a higher volume). I don’t really mind what model or make the speaker is, as long as it has good clean headroom. Let me know what y’all got!

The Pro Jr is a 15 watt amp, it's supposed to break up. That's happening in the amp, not the speaker. It would be fine for quiet bedroom practice, but that's about it. If you want more clean headroom you need to change the amp, not the speaker.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 10:02 am    

Unwarranted opinion deleted.

Last edited by Jack Hanson on 16 Jun 2021 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ben Erhart

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 10:45 am     Re: WTB 10” Speaker

Ian Worley wrote:
Ben Erhart wrote:

The Pro Jr is a 15 watt amp, it's supposed to break up. That's happening in the amp, not the speaker. It would be fine for quiet bedroom practice, but that's about it. If you want more clean headroom you need to change the amp, not the speaker.

Thanks for your unwarranted opinion. If you’re not selling a 10” speaker please keep your thoughts to yourself, I didn’t ask.
Jackson Maverick HD

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 12:35 pm     Re: WTB 10” Speaker

Ben Erhart wrote:

Thanks for your unwarranted opinion. If you’re not selling a 10” speaker please keep your thoughts to yourself, I didn’t ask.

This is a forum, it's a place where people talk about things. Seems like folks are awful touchy these days, I certainly didn't mean to offend you. Sounds like my post was unwanted (this one too I expect), but it was not unwarranted based on what you said in your OP, nor was Jack's suggestion of a cooler preamp tube. I hope you've at least considered what I said, and what Jack suggested too. I have a Blues Jr. BJ has reverb and a 12" speaker, otherwise very similar amps. They're not designed to be clean at any significant volume. Great amp for 6 string guitar, not so much steel. Best of luck to you in resolving your issue.

Ben Erhart

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 5:53 pm     Re: WTB 10” Speaker

Ian Worley wrote:
Ben Erhart wrote:

This is a forum, it's a place where people talk about things. Seems like folks are awful touchy these days, I certainly didn't mean to offend you. Sounds like my post was unwanted (this one too I expect), but it was not unwarranted based on what you said in your OP, nor was Jack's suggestion of a cooler preamp tube. I hope you've at least considered what I said, and what Jack suggested too. I have a Blues Jr. BJ has reverb and a 12" speaker, otherwise very similar amps. They're not designed to be clean at any significant volume. Great amp for 6 string guitar, not so much steel. Best of luck to you in resolving your issue.

I think there’s been some confusion, I’m not using this for steel. This is for a 6 string guitar, I’m just still seeking a cleaner sound if I can manage. I have larger amps that are suitable for steel, so I’m not exactly looking for something larger really. I know the limitations that this amp has for the most part, just trying to see if there’s any solid speakers that would clean it up more. Sorry for any miscommunication on my part, I have no ill will toward any pickers and I value all input
Jackson Maverick HD

Ben Erhart

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2021 1:51 pm    

Close it found what I needed
Jackson Maverick HD