The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons P/P Pickup Question
Liam Sullins

Brookville, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2021 10:30 am    

Hi everyone. I have a 76 P/P with the front neck being wound to 17.4 and the back wound to 17.6. These seems high for my liking and I'm wanting to get a lower ohm for the classic tone. What did the early bolt on's/wraparound average at ohm wise? I had a Sho Bud Crossover with an early no white Emmons pickup, it was about 14k and I really enjoyed the sound of it.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2021 11:47 am    

Watching

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 5:11 am    

I've got two bolt-ons, an invoice guitar #2542 ('66 maybe?) and 1014-D (almost surely a '67). I've measured all four PUs, and they were in the 14K to 15.5K range if I remember correctly. I didn't write it down, but I may measure again today if I get some time. If I do I'll post it back here.

You aren't alone, a lot of guys like the lighter wound single-coils, .. BUT .. I've heard some guitars with heavier winds that sound great too.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 5:48 am    

My '70 PP has 15.5 on E9 & 14.5 on C6, stock pickups. Great sounding steel! But.....to quote Mike Cass, "everything affects everything"!👍
Pat

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 10:35 am    

In addition to the impedance of your pickups, there are many other variables that affect what you hear coming out of your speaker. The input impedance of whatever comes first in your signal chain as well as the input impedance of your amp can all have an impact on the frequencies that actually survive and make it to your ears. Not trivial either is the difference between the two guitars you're comparing and the timbre of the vibrations being sent through the pickups. The 14k pickup from your Crossover would sound brighter in your PP than your 17k+ pickups, but not the same as the Crossover, the guitars are just different beasts. As Pat noted, "everything affects everything"

If you do a forum search you'll find dozens, perhaps hundreds of threads on the subject with discussions by the resident electronics genii re: pickup impedance, buffers, etc. and their relationship to what we hear coming out the other end. Lots of good reading.

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 9:17 pm    

My ‘71 fatback has 15.5 on both necks.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2021 5:56 am    

My '73 fatback has 15.5 on E9, and 16.5 on C6.

billy tam

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 5:51 pm     Pickups

Pickup ohm is a resistance measurement. A certain number of a very small wire will measure more resistance than the same wraps of a larger diameter wire. Tonal difference will vary with two pickups both measuring 15000 ohms if there is a substantial difference in wire size in the wrap. Just my opinion. Billy

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2021 12:57 am     Re: Pickups

“Tonal difference will vary with two pickups both measuring 15000 ohms if there is a substantial difference in wire size in the wrap. Just my opinion. Billy “

Yes !

I have used bigsby type pickups that sound rich and full that measure around 8 ohms.

I’m not sure of the wire size in them but my 67 PP pickups measure around 14 ohms and sound great. So do the Emmons humbuckers that come in near 20.

Resistance is only one measurement with pickups and the q point or sweet spot is a balance between a couple more things. Mainly inductance.

If you are having a pickup wound for you talk to your guy about wire thickness and maybe try using very slightly thicker wire wound less so you get the resistance you are looking for. And don’t worry too much because pretty much every pickup sounds good with those old Emmons steels.