The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with pedal steel Headrush Gigboard patch
David Sawyer

White Pine, Tennessee
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2021 4:30 am    

I'm new to pedal steel, having played guitar/keys/bass for years. I picked up a ShoBud Maverick and actually have a GFI Expo on the way, fingers crossed.

I'm running my Headrush Gigboard through a small mixer into two Mackie SRM550 monitors. I haven't found an amp/speaker/mic combo that I'm happy with yet and was wondering what suggestions or patches other folks may have.

I've tried different combos of amps (the Super Reverb '65 Black SR, the Twin '67 Black Duo, BOGNER ’97 RB-01b Green clean), with various speaker, mic and placement combos. Running the mids scooped, lots of bass, moderate to low treble, no bright switch.

Thanks!

Willem Langeveld

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2021 11:26 am     Headrush patches

Hi Jeff –

(For anyone reading this: this started off as a PM conversation. But maybe this is of use to others.)

As I mentioned in my PM, for Headrush rigs, I think the trick is to set the Headrush rig input gain (as opposed to the amp gain) very low, so that you have enough headroom for the amp you're using without it trying to break up. To make the patch have about the same output volume, you can compensate by turning the Headrush rig output gain (again, as opposed to the amp gain) up a bit. The amp gain should also be on the low side, although you can dial it up until there's just a bit of hair on it.

I bought a Fender Tonemaster Twin Reverb a year or two ago, and haven't used the Headrush in a while.

But I do have my three rigs in a backup here (and I sent them to you in an email). I don't think I can post them here on the Forum. Well, I guess since they are just text files I could just cut and paste them, but they are very long, so I probably shouldn't.

I don't think one can attach files to posts on the forum, can one? I suppose I could put them on the Headrush website, but that's so... public... Smile

Willy.
Dekley S12 5-4 with Alumitone PU, Telonics Pro volume pedal, Peterson StroboPlus HD tuner, Peavey Nashville 112 with Strymon Big Sky reverb or Headrush Pedalboard with my own pedal steel patch, or Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb with Strymon Big Sky through the normal channel.

David Sawyer

White Pine, Tennessee
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2021 11:28 am    

Thanks Willy!

It may be tomorrow before I look at the patches and I'll post my findings.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2021 12:53 pm    

David, I don't have the Headrush gear but on Line 6 I find it necessary to put a compressor before the amp simulator helps a lot. A local player here uses headrush with their powered cabinet and gets a great sound. Not sure if he's on the forum. Names Wally Davis from around Bellville Illinois. Maybe a search will yield results. If not Steve Hitsman may have his contact info. I know Steve is a forum member.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 7:48 am     Headrush

BOB; was gracious enough to allow me to use the Forum to post some Kemper patches in Electronics & Recording sections, can’t see why he wouldn’t allow the same for your Headrush profiles.