The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to replace nut Rickenbacher NS
Philip James

England, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 1:45 pm    

I'm looking for advice on how to remove the nut on my recently acquired Rickenbacher NS Lap Steel. The low wound string groove in the nut is far too deep and wide.
I've ordered a repacement from Georgeboards.

I'm wondering the best way to remove it. it looks like a layer of adhesive attaches it. I saw one suggestion is to use a fine saw to cut through the adhesive which could possibly work but I'd be interested in further suggestions.
Thanks

John Dahms

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 2:42 pm    

The easiest fix is to remove it, fill the groove with baking soda and wet it with super glue. It will turn into a hard plastic -like material that can be files ans sanded to the size you want.
Her is my style 1 Tricone repair...

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 6:37 am    

I won't pretend to be an expert. All I know is from observation & experience with my Silver Hawaiian. I am believing that your nut is not original. My nut was NOT adhered with adhesive. It just has two bumps on the face that meets the neck. There are two corresponding holes in the neck. Bump-to-hole fit is not tight. It's just an alignment and slide-prevention thing. String tension holds it on.

What I would try (if this were mine) is -- I would place a block of wood against the first fret side of the nut and gently tap the block with a hammer/mallet. I'd tap as hard as I felt comfortable doing, feeling it out to prevent any possible damage. Not knowing what sort of adhesive that is, I'd be looking to see if it might be brittle and possibly just break.
That's Plan A. Can't say I've worked up a Plan B.

Philip James

England, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 7:12 am    

Thanks both. Still thinking.

David Slama

Black Hills, South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2021 4:01 pm     A Little Deer Antler Dust

If you have access to any critter antlers, just scrape a little bit into dust. Then mix the dust with the baking soda. Mask everything well with the nut in situ, add the glue, and presto...a new nut.
Georgeboards S8 Stealth w/Mark Roeder custom stand. Georgeboards S8 boxcar. Rob Ickes Wechter Scheerhorn resonator. 1940's Rickenbacker S6 w/M-10 amp. Little Walter 50W amp & 112 Cabinet. Cobra Coil strings & bar. ProPik "fingertone" split wrap medium

Jim Rossen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 4:45 am    

Regarding Superglue (cyanoacrylate glue)- The method with baking soda works best if you use very thin glue, which is not the usual hardware store product. It is sometimes called "water thin" glue. Thicker glue may not completely permeate the baking soda before hardening. Hobby shops have it. I recently bought a small bottle for $4. They also sell tapered disposable tips. I suggest practicing on a mock up before applying to your nut. I agree it will probably solve you problem.

Once you get good at using the mix, you could probably do the repair with the nut in place. Use masking tape to create a well for the mix at the groove and limit spread.