The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Clicking in the changer?
Bradley Harper

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 2:53 pm    

Hi everybody,

Wondering if someone can help me..

Sometimes the RKL on my Magnum makes a loud clicking/ creaking sound when I’m engaging it. It doesn’t do it every time - I’d say 50/50. I’ve had a look underneath and it appears to be one of the return springs creating the noise - the spring looks to move ever so slightly, even though RKL is raising that string.

It’s not bothering me massively, but has anybody got any ideas?

I should say that the change/ lever itself works fine.

Thanks,

Brad

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 3:33 pm    

First, make sure nothing else is causing the creaking/clicking noise. Do this by operating the lever with your hand while the guitar is still upside-down in the case. (This takes the endplates, legs, and pedalboard out of the equation.) Notice if the finger is pulling to the side as the lever is activated, or if the return springs are touching/rubbing each other.

Bradley Harper

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2021 6:28 am    

Thanks Donny. I’ve had another look today and this is what it looks like is happening:-

When the raise is engaged, friction in the changer/ scissor sometimes causes the lower to pull a little too. The return springs then snaps the lower back to its stop, leaving the raise engaged of course. It is this spring/ snapping back that makes the noise. I should also say that I don’t actually have a lower on that string (string 1).

Does this make sense?

Thanks for your help mate.

Brad

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2021 3:40 pm    

Bradley, I don't think that spring should move at all on a raise. It should hold the finger against the stop plate. But before you try to tighten the spring it's possible there is a bind or need for slightly cleaning and lubrication. I'm not familiar with the Magnum undercarriage but generally the finger should remain at the stop by spring tension on raises. Can you hold the finger back by hand and work the lever to see if the noise is gone. I had a BMI with a filthy frozen pivots at the rivets that was causing all sorts of problems.

Bradley Harper

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 2:45 pm    

Hi Larry!

Indeed if I hold the lower against the stop whilst activating the lever, there is no noise.

Another thing I’ve noticed that a that the pull rod comes out of the changer at an awkward angle. Because of the rod’s position in the bell crank and changer, it comes out with a kind of upwards trajectory. Perhaps this is what’s causing the lower to move a little bit? Alas, instead of pulling the raise just horizontally, it will also pull it slightly downwards.

I could be talking rubbish here, so apologies if I am! But do you think tightening the return spring is the way forward Larry?

Thanks again for your help mate.

Brad

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 3:40 pm    

I'd guess that's your problem, and all you have to do is remove the rod bend it slightly so that the end-part of the rod (in the changer) is parallel to the deck of the guitar, and it doesn't pull at an angle.

Sandy Inglis

Christchurch New Zealand
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 1:46 am    

I had a problem with a Strat Guitar where the springs made noises. I cut a strip of foam and inserted it up the middle. It worked well. Your springs may be different?

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 11:19 am    

Bradley, try Donnys advice 1st. If not maybe a wee bit more on the spring. Don't overdo it though. Ideally the rods need to pull straight.

Bradley Harper

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 10:56 pm    

Ok guys thanks so much for your help!

Bruce Blackburn

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2021 4:00 am     Noise

This is something to check. Remove the nylon tuning nut. You may find that the threads on the pull rod are actually making a noise as it interacts with the hole in the changer. I have seen that before.
If the pull rod is long enough you can loosen it at the bell-crank and push it out just enough so the threads on the rod are clear of the hole in the changer. If this is the problem, that is the solution. I hope this helps.

Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 11:34 am    

The Magnum changer is the same as a Carter. You might make sure that pull rod is going in the changer hole closest to the bottom of the guitar. That will get it farther from the rivet in the scissor. If that doesn’t fix it message me.
I built all but 2 of the Magnums during my time Carter guitars. I like some things about the Magnum better than the Carter.