The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb: Any Experience?
Britt Newsome

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2021 4:46 am    

I am looking at a solid state amp that I can use for both PSG and "regular" guitar. I am thinking that a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb from Fender would fit the bill . Solid state, but also with emulator settings for some vintage tube sounds that I have heard are really terrific. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with one of these for pedal steel. Thank you!

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2021 6:01 am    

If you choose to go that route, spend another $100 and get the Tonemaster Twin, you will need the extra headroom for pedal steel and you will get a bigger sound with the two 12" speakers. It may not be the absolute greatest for pedal steel, but it will get the job done. I know a few players who get an excellent sound with their Tonemasters, perhaps they could offer some advise on the settings if you choose to get one.

Britt Newsome

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2021 6:34 am    

Morton Kellas wrote:
If you choose to go that route, spend another $100 and get the Tonemaster Twin, you will need the extra headroom for pedal steel and you will get a bigger sound with the two 12" speakers. It may not be the absolute greatest for pedal steel, but it will get the job done. I know a few players who get an excellent sound with their Tonemasters, perhaps they could offer some advise on the settings if you choose to get one.

That sounds like good advice. I understand that Jon Rauhouse plays a tube twin reverb with 15 inch speakers for the same reason you mentioned plus more low end given the larger speakers.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2021 7:31 am    

Britt - in case you haven't seen this.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=349441&highlight=fender+tonemaster

Britt Newsome

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2021 7:41 am    

Jim Cooley wrote:
Britt - in case you haven't seen this.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=349441&highlight=fender+tonemaster

Bingo!

Thank you. I had not seen this. Perfect!

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2021 2:02 am    

i played a couple of amps over the year, solid state peavey, different tube fenders and ended up with the tonemaster deluxe. way enough headroom for my steel and telecaster, liked it even better than the TM Twin in a side by side comparison. i gig a lot and am really happy with the sound and the low weight. also no tube service anymore.
the TM deluxe sounds really great to me.

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2021 5:41 am    

I bought a TM Twin a little over a year ago, it is my favorite amp I have ever owned. I don’t know if it sounds like a tube twin or not as I don’t have one to compare but to my ear it sounds really good!

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 5:45 am    

Britt, I should have mentioned that I also have a Deluxe reverb and it is a good amp for small venues but there is no way 22 watts is going to perform like 85 watts. The twin projects better and the extra 12" speaker in the twin creates a fuller sound. The twin has more punch and can get the music to the back of the room. The mid control comes in handy on the twin as well. For $100 more you can have an amp that you can be sure will cover your needs at both low and higher volumes. Best of luck.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 3:12 pm    

i have tonemaster twin and a tube deluxe. i don't think you're going to get the headroom you need for steel with the deluxe.