The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Hot Rod DeVille, a pleasant surprise
Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 27 May 2021 4:00 pm    

Since big amps can be bought used for less money than small amps these days, I decided to pick up a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 4x10. I figured I’d keep it in the garage for those times when I needed to drown out the noise in my head, and to use for occasional outdoor gigs.

Once I swapped out the 12ax7 in V1 position for a 12ay7 the amp became much easier to manage at lower volumes, and also sounds more “musical” to my ears. It’s actually easier to dial in a sweet low volume tone on this monster than it is on my little Pro Junior!

Probably still too loud for an apartment at night, or in the next room to someone working from home, but still quiet enough to play for a couple hours without any worries about hearing damage, or disturbing the neighbors. It’s definitely been a pleasant surprise. I’ve been spending more time in the garage than in my music room since I got it!
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 May 2021 11:51 pm    

congrats, enjoy !

All I can add is that the HR Devilles are great amps . I've owned one ( 2x12 early release) ) for well over 20 years now and while it's a bit on the heavy side, its a true performer. This 60 watt amp (2x 6L6) is right on the edge of offering enough clean headroom for Steel on pretty much all gigs. I never considered it to be an excessively LOUD amp compared to the 40 watt little brother, HR Deluxe but it solves the lack of clean headroom issue when pushing the HR Deluxe on larger venues.

I've always considered this to be one of the best amps I have ever owned, still do. Its a fine replacement for a Twin. Not long ago I serviced mine with new tubes and caps, brought it back to top performance. I have many festival gigs this summer, I think I'll pull out the Deville for a couple of them. Very Happy

Enjoy your new beauty ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2021 8:38 am    

The 4x10 was the nicest sounding amp I ever had.
I was sad when I had to sell it.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2021 10:50 am    

there are some output tube plug ins that use the EL 84 tube that will tame the amp down if you want. you just unplug the 6l6 tubes and plug in the adaptors that have the 6BQ5/EL84 in them. several companies make these.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 28 May 2021 12:38 pm    

Bill Hatcher wrote:
there are some output tube plug ins that use the EL 84 tube that will tame the amp down if you want. you just unplug the 6l6 tubes and plug in the adaptors that have the 6BQ5/EL84 in them. several companies make these.

Thanks Bill, I’m aware of those. I already have a few nice lower powered tube amps. This one’s job is to be big and loud.

I am however exploring some more preamp tube swaps to give me more headroom and more control at lower volumes.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 9:07 pm     Update

I did some more experimenting with preamp tubes. Eventually settled on:

V1=5751
V2=12ay7
V3=12at7

This is gIrving me plenty of control at lower volumes without sacrificing the amp’s ability to play loud. There is plenty of clean headroom on the clean channel too.

Anthony Parish

Austin
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 10:06 am    

I know you talked about swapping tubes to control volume and headroom, but I had one of these and I loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7lP5hOOSIg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/881403430/for-fender-hot-rod-and-blues-deluxe-amps?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=fender+hot+rod+deville&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&bes=1

It's basically just a master volume that plugs into the effects loop. Easy peasy.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 12:48 am    

well, my take, this is not an apartment amp ! Its a 60 watt performer, the big brother to the 40 watt HR Deluxe. Its not quite as efficient as a TWIN Reverb but it is the "headroom" solution to the HR Deluxe.

I personally would not change any "front end tubes" to tame it down,as that can very well change the characteristics of the amp should you take it out to the gig.

Theres a million other ways to have an apartment amp.

Last week, (GOD HELP ME ) I bought a used Boss Katana 50, against all my inner struggles and opinions. Turns out I really like it ! It has phones out and 3 power selections, .5, 25 and 50 watts. Now we have an apartment amp! Laughing And its sounds pretty darn good ! Live and learn !

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 3:28 am    

Didn’t Lloyd Green use one ( with a 15” speaker) on a recent CD?
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Anthony Campbell

Northwest Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 5:38 am    

When I had one I replaced the 6L6s with 6V6s, and it was still an incredibly loud amp, but with a much smoother volume range on the clean channel. Just needed to re-bias.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 1:13 am    

K Maul wrote:
Didn’t Lloyd Green use one ( with a 15” speaker) on a recent CD?

It is said that LG used a HR Deluxe with a 15" cab for some sessions years back. Sessions vs practice vs gigs are 3 different worlds. The EQ spectrum on these amps is bright , clear and clean, right up to the point where they are straddling the headroom limit.

These are perhaps my favorite amps from Fender. One issue "technically" is they use filter caps that don't have a long life.( my opinion ) The bottom end starts "farting out" which can be misleading, we may think its headroom or a tube. The other issue is the traces on the PC BDS are a bit tender. Be very careful when changing parts such as the filters. Many , including myself, change filter caps from the component side, piggy backing the leads, using a very low watt iron with a heat sink at the base of the lead.

Both the HR Deluxe and the HR Deville perform incredible well, which one performs for or needs ? Who can say.

Great amps .

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 8:17 am    

I have smaller amps, both tube & SS that live in the house. The DeVille lives in my garage. I bought it primarily for outdoor gigs and street parties. It never needs to be at “apartment” sound levels. But it’s nice to have some sonic options available at lower volumes too.

The current valve setup is working out very well for me:
V1=5751
V2=12ay7
V3=12at7
2 x 6L6

I actually prefer it to my more expensive Princeton Reverb (Tweed, 12”) but I have the PRRI down to 30 pounds, and the Princeton sounds great even at very low volumes for home use when my wife is sewing n the next room.

I just need to join a band with some younger players who still have all of their original parts, to carry the DeVille in and out of the bar for me!

John Dowden

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2021 8:52 pm    

I feel like I read something a while back about people changing the volume pot to allow a more even sweep from 1-10. That basically the amp, when stock, goes from nothing to full blast from 1-2 whereas after the new pot is installed it allows for a gradual volume increase without having to change out tubes and such. Just some food for thought.

John

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2021 11:42 pm    

John Dowden wrote:
I feel like I read something a while back about people changing the volume pot to allow a more even sweep from 1-10. That basically the amp, when stock, goes from nothing to full blast from 1-2 whereas after the new pot is installed it allows for a gradual volume increase without having to change out tubes and such. Just some food for thought.

John

Interesting, I have owned several HR Deluxe's and currently have an HR Deville . ( same front end on ) That is not the case with any of them. Typically Fender will use an audio taper pot for the volume control which is just the opposite . If a Linear taper pot is used it is somewhat different in that the volume increases a bit faster on the knob, but not all the way to max in a short turn.

Some amps ( entry level) do indeed use a reverse audio log taper pot which allows full volume at 2,3 or 4 then nothing else after that. I believe they do that so the amp sounds really loud in the stores ! .