The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Are there any Robert Randolph fans out there?
Cody Legg

Lebanon, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2021 11:51 pm    

This is my first post on here. I own a fairly good collection of steel guitars that I sit behind.
Stuart told me I would do fine on here, just don’t mention politics or music theory.
Would like to hear from steel players who play rock. I welcome replies from those that don't as well.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 12:32 am    

Well, here goes. I don't care for Robert Randolph's music, but I admire what he's done to raise the profile of the steel guitar.

I don't think of it as an exclusively country instrument. My regular band plays one number where I get to do a little traditional E9 work. The rest uses the full range of the universal and a lot of effects.

I don't think any of that was political or theoretical Smile

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 1:32 am     Robert Randolph

In theory it was actually quite politically correct!.. lol! I like Robert Randolph quite a bit, the whole Sacred Steel culture is incredibly inventive and like most blues players some are a bit more crude than others but the soul is alive behind the notes. Roberts style is becoming more refined every day! He just did a solo on a Grace Potter CD that is awesome! He’s the Derek Trucks of pedal steel!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 4:31 am    

I listened to RR again yesterday. I have to qualify my remarks by saying that I tend to roll my eyes a bit at the whole overdriven-blues-scale genre (I'm a bit suspicious of millionaire rock-stars who climb out of limos, assume an angst-ridden expression and take to the stage - all in the name of 'The Blues').

Randolph, however, didn't strike me in that way. He sounds inspired as he plays. He's inventive, seems to fret in-tune, and appears to love what he's doing. In short, I found myself watching until the end.

I'm not ever going to become a dedicated admirer of someone who lives only in the world of the blues-scale (I'm a Burt Bacharach fan), but Robert is as good as anyone I've heard.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 5:50 am    

Some years ago I saw a video of R.R. playing "A Way To Survive" and it sounded good to me. Apparently the audience was as surprised as I was.

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 6:13 am    

Love him or hate him, RR can play!

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 7:35 am    

I met and had an opportunity to spend some time with RR. Ross Shafer and I showed RR the new Ross Shafer Sierra Steel because RR was interested in owning one. RR came across as a genuinely good guy that was not as full of himself as other "stars" I have met. He was really a down to earth good guy.

As RR went through some of his stuff on the Sierra, I was really impressed with the breadth of his ability. Yes, he could play a lot of high energy rock, but his repertoire included a wide variety of other music. He also demonstrated a solid understanding of music theory. Meeting him was a good experience.

I respect RR for being one of the few PSG performers who really fronts the instrument.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 8:12 am    

Count me in. He's great. Cool

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 8:57 am    

I’m a fan of the “Sacred steel” genre. I love the feeling and the soul in it. I was a fan of Chuck Campbell who is mentor to Robert Randolph. I bought a steel from Chuck in 1982 and knew all about the church music that Robert’s music comes from. I think it’s all great. I met Robert a few times and spent time talking. He’s a really great guy and a dynamic performer and musician.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 9:39 am    

I'm not a fan. Sad
Erv

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2021 9:41 am     Robert Randolph interview on NPR in 2001

I first heard of Robert Randolph in this interview on NPR in 2001--and I was totally amazed! I bought his first CD, and went to see him play live when he played in San Francisco a few months later.

For those of you "on the fence" about Robert Randolph (especially those with an interest in gospel music), you may want to give a listen to this excellent 16-minute interview with many examples of Robert Randolph's versatility and wonderful musicianship on the PSG.
NPR has an odd way of listening to their archives.
Here are two links to the same Robert Randolph interview:

“Hear a 2001 interview with Robert Randolph” Liane Hansen, August 5, 2001
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1126977
or
“Weekend Edition Sunday Heavenly 'Sacred Steel'” Liane Hansen, August 5, 2001
https://www.npr.org/artists/17645145/robert-randolph/archive?date=7-31-2002

Some points of interest:
1:15—RR playing gospel rock on PSG
2:20—RR playing gospel “House of God” music on PSG
3:28—RR showing how he accompanies a preacher’s sermon
4:19—RR playing “Jubilee” gospel music
5:55—RR playing with a congregation singing
…………………………………………………………….
6:20 -- RR discussing visiting Nashville and his great admiration for country PSG players
7:16—RR discussing his admiration for Stevie Ray Vaughn’s fast guitar playing
7:57—RR describing the capabilities of his 13-string PSG
8:06—RR demonstrating “country” PSG playing, including what sounds like Paul Franklin’s “fingertip blocking”! (This is amazing!)
8:27-- RR demonstrating rock & roll PSG playing
9:05—RR demonstrating sacred steel “House of God” PSG playing
10:55—RR plays “I’ll Fly Away”
15:44--RR plays a beautiful version of a traditional hymn "I Need Thee"

- Dave

Cody Legg

Lebanon, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2021 11:07 am    

Thanks for all the great info everyone. I'll do you a favor and never put any of my guitar or steel playing, singing on here.
Bo posted one of my songs from long ago ( a Grungy version of a song borrowing from sleep walk ) and it, didn't to put it mildly go over too well!

Cody Legg

Lebanon, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2021 12:22 pm    

I'm just going to be asking a lot of questions on here.
I was hoping there were some jams close to Lebanon MO
also
I'm going to be selling almost all my closet gear, Pedal steels and accessories. I sold a Fender S10 cable and a BMI S12 extend E9 with pad early last year the sales all went splendidly. Really great people here on the Forum.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2021 7:59 am    

Glad you joined. Like to welcome you here even if I know all about it since you joined here and about the only time you get on the Forum is when you are here with me.
A lot of great players and good Forum folks.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2021 10:59 am    

You guys might have a legg up on the kardashians.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2021 11:01 am    

RR—love him. I can’t think of another steeler that can rock a big amphitheater with rythyms and leads like that guy.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2021 11:21 am    

I'm a Fan.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2021 2:14 pm    

As you notice Cody’s favorite Steel player is Robert Randolph

Stuart’s favorite steel player is Paul Franklin. He’s a fan even though he has taken a lot of abuse in his threads related to Paul.

My favorite steel player is Joe Wright (he just plain makes me happy) and he will up stage any and every one at a Steel Guitar Convention.

We only agree on one player and that’s because we all like The Bakersfield sound. Give us some Mooney anytime!

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2021 2:35 pm    

I should have said we only agree on two steel players.
How could I forget Junior Brown?

Cody Legg

Lebanon, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2021 2:47 pm    

I think the most underrated player when it comes to blues and rock is Zane King. I've often thought he should put together a Blues group and go on a concert tour!

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2021 4:50 pm    

I'm mostly in Roger Rettig's camp when it comes to RR: I admire his skill, and love some of his songs - but he loses me when he adds too many pedals to the mix and goes "Hendrixy"- just don't like the heavily overdriven/distorted tones. Didn't like it when Hendrix did it, and still not a fan of that style. Same with some of the other guys out of the Sacred Steel tradition. I really like a lot of what AJ Ghent is playing - but he can also go into the heavily overdriven sound at times.

But the steel world is big, and can certainly be much bigger. There is plenty of room for all styles. Experimentation is encouraged!

Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2021 8:15 pm    

Count me out.

Bill

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 7:42 am    

I measure my fandom by my willingness to pay to see an artist in concert. RR may have made it on to my list 35 years ago during the great SRV-driven loud blues resurgence, which I enjoyed thoroughly. Now, when I hear that kind of playing it’s more like, yes he is very good, and it is interesting hearing it done on pedal steel, but I’ll be moving on now.

Michael Diabo

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 8:06 am    

Coming from the” Rock World”, hearing RR introduced me to the wide world of players, and genres featuring the steel guitar. I am a big fan, and am thankful that he was also a gateway into so much more.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 3:01 pm    

I share Fred's opinions. I respect what RR is capable of and credit his abilities. However I don't own any of his material on media and I measure my admiration with buying and listening to their music. I do own plenty of other heavy rock, blues and jazz artists.