The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zirctone - New Production Zirconia Tonebars For Sale
Dylan Schorer

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2021 11:33 am    

I’ve been using one of Mark’s prototype Zirctone bars for several months and love the feel and tone of it. I know how much work he has put into polishing and fine tuning, and these things feel impossibly slick. It’s definitely improved my vibrato. I had been using black zirconia bar as my main bar for the past 10 years, but the Zirctone is much smoother and feels better in my hand. I don’t know if it’s a difference in the ceramic material or the attention to polishing. It’s also taken few falls on to a hard floor (sorry Mark), and it’s come through unscathed.

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 25 May 2021 12:25 pm    

I have had the Zirctone bar for about a month now. This is my first foray into a bar that is not steel.

So... comparing it to my favorite steel bar, I found that the Zirctone bar slides over the strings more smoothly and with less bar noise. Also, there are sounds and a level of expression I have not gotten with my steel bar. Plus, there is a certain clarity that I have noticed, especially when recording. The Zirctone is the bar I reach for now.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2021 5:14 pm    

M Horton Smith:

I'm pretty lousy with bar slants. The bars that work best for me have a considerable concave heel end so my thumb can securely grab the end of the bar for slants.

Any chance you will make a bar like that? I don't see much of a "dimple" in the current bar, at least from the one photo you posted.

Thanks!
Mullen pre-RP D-12 9+10 / Zumsteel S12 7+6 / Rittenberry SD-12 8+5 / Li'l Izzy / Webb amp / Stereo Steel combo amp-preamp / JBL, BW & Telonics speakers in Telonics cabinets / Hilton and Telonics volume pedals / BJS bars / George L strings & cables / StealSeat.com pack-a-seat / Macintosh computers / This Space for Hire / Burma Shave

M Horton Smith

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2021 6:16 pm    

John,

Thank you for your question. I have designed an offset feature in the back end of the bar just to get better leverage for slants. The feedback so far has been positive. Here's a photo that hopefully shows the detail of that feature a little better.

Mark

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, Zephyrhills, Fl USA 1
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 6:01 am    

I'm supposed to be on the list for one of these great bars, I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2021 11:19 am    

I will be thrilled to have one of these bars!!
Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... 8+5 Mullen G2D-10 8+5 Carter D-10 8+5,Blanton SD -10 any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese toys continously since

the mid 50's.Peavey Nashville Scott Swartz Z-pickup...112,and LTD ,Sho-Bud Bill Groner .Telonics volume pedal,and 206 pickups.

M Horton Smith

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 1:24 pm    

Just a quick update-

Morton and Stu, I have you on the growing standby list!

I'm about halfway through the process of manufacturing:

7/8" Dia 10-string qty. 25 (approx. 1/2 are spoken for)
15/16" Dia 10-string qty. 25 (approx. 1/3 are spoken for)

I will let you all know when the second run is close to complete.

Send me a note at zirctone@gmail.com if you want on the list.

Thanks

David Decker

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 1:36 pm     Bar

Just sent you an email for a 15/16" Bar

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2021 2:40 pm    

M Horton Smith, thanks for that heel mod for easier bar slants. I'll email you to place an order for a 7/8 bar. 🤠
Mullen pre-RP D-12 9+10 / Zumsteel S12 7+6 / Rittenberry SD-12 8+5 / Li'l Izzy / Webb amp / Stereo Steel combo amp-preamp / JBL, BW & Telonics speakers in Telonics cabinets / Hilton and Telonics volume pedals / BJS bars / George L strings & cables / StealSeat.com pack-a-seat / Macintosh computers / This Space for Hire / Burma Shave

Valdi Thorkelsson

Reykjavik, Iceland
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 6:38 am    

E-mailed you an order last night Mark for a 7/8” Dia 10-str. Please confirm receipt.

M Horton Smith

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 7:09 am    

Thanks John and Valdi,

You are both on the growing list! I'll let everyone know when the second run is getting closer - working on them. They do take plenty of time to get right. Thank you all for your patience.

Best,

Mark

George Redmon

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 10:14 am    

Don't forget us 12 stringers 15/16 please. I have an extra pencil if you need it for your growing list.