The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Band in a box for Macintosh now available -- anyone tried it
Steven Schwartz

Longview Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2021 9:23 am    

Being an avid Apple computer fan I was interested to see that Band in A Box is available for 64 bit Macintoshs?

I am an absolutely newbie steeler, but I have heard interesting things about Band in A Box. How big is the learning curve.

At just 129.00 for the newest version, that seems like a good deal.

Steve

Pete Bailey

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2021 9:37 am    

BIAB is such a big part of my daily practice & play-along routine that I've upgraded to the full version over the last few years.

It's well worth $129 at least, if you have the ability to chart out songs and do some minor production tweaks in order to get them up to a quality level where you are happy playing along with them.

The nashville numbers mode is almost worth the price of admission all by itself.

Band In A Box's interface is firmly fossilized in the 1980's so there is a bit of a learning curve but it's not too bad and there are plenty of folks here to help you out Smile

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2021 9:41 am    

I have been using on a Mac since 2012, just upgraded in 2020. It works fine and is very easy to use. It can get more involved but is as simple as you want it to- type in some chords and pick a style and tempo.

There are some videos available here on the forum that helped me a lot.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 9:41 am    

The $129 US ProPAK includes the full program and enough content to learn the program's capabilities. However, the ProPAK has only about 1/10th of the available additional content when compared against the full sized UltraPAK and Audiophile.

What this means in real terms is you can become fully proficient in using the program and will not be overloaded with content choices.

I use the Windows version but I do believe this forum has a few members that use the Mac version. PG Music has a forum section dedicated to Mac users. It is available here:https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=39&page=1

One last thought, PG Music includes a standalone and AU plug-in with the Band-in-a-Box program. The plug-in has less features than the full program so you may find it easier to start with. You can use the AU plug-in inside the GarageBand or LogicPro DAWs so you can play Band-in-a-Box audio inside your DAW. You can also copy audio or MIDI from the plug-in to your DAW.

2021 is a good time to hop onto the Band-in-a-Box bandwagon.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 4:25 pm    

Steven, I've been trying to use BIAB for Mac off and on for the past 15 years or so, but because I use it so seldom, I keep forgetting most of what I learned and have to relearn it! Ugh. It can be a really helpful tool, but for me it's easier and faster to just go find songs on www.karaoke-version.com, order the Custom tracks you can remix to your heart's content and download every version for one $2.99 fee.

How's that new Hudson guitar treating you?

Steven Schwartz

Longview Washington, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 8:11 am    

John McClung wrote:
but for me it's easier and faster to just go find songs on www.karaoke-version.com

John, it has been years since I messed around with karaoke sites, this site is amazing. I am trying to learn vocals on a song and I was able to download a custom version without the backup vocals. So much easier for my ear to hear the lead. Plus just 2.99 payable by PayPal.

I love my new Hudson. I am getting comfortable in my seat, exercising my hands, staying encouraged on learning this amazing machine. Working on my music theory, training my ear.

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 9:08 am    

John McClung wrote:
for me it's easier and faster to just go find songs on www.karaoke-version.com, order the Custom tracks you can remix to your heart's content and download every version for one $2.99 fee.

How's that new Hudson guitar treating you?

John McClung, that is one nice site. Thanks for sharing!