The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sarno V8 Settings
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 3:39 pm    

Would some of you post the settings you use for a Sarno V8 please. I've had one for some time & haven't had much luck getting the sound I want. I have a Sarno Classic also & have good success with it. I usually play a Zum, use a Goodrich pot pedal, a Black Box, a Wet Reverb, a DD3 delay, a Stewart power amp and usually an Eminence neo 15 speaker. With the Sarno Classic I use an older Black Box, the built in reverb and a Ganz power amp otherwise the rest is the same. I do not like apple pealing treble but more mellow. Someone said I'm more Chalker than Mooney in my tone. I'm really not interested in changing the rest of the system, just dialing in the V8. Thanks

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 5:46 pm    

My V8 has a mid control, but I run bass at 1:00, mid 9:00 and treble at 12:00

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 6:31 pm    

I've found that the volume needs to be run at half or higher. You will probably need to turn down your power amp. You need to be able to turn this preamp up to get the tone, or at least the tone that I like.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 6:45 pm    

Thanks guys, I will try your suggestions next time I rig it up. More advice welcomed.

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 4:09 am    

I agree with Paul, gain staging is an important part of the V8 to find a sweet spot I try to run input volume between 12:00 and 1:00 and the knob on the back around 1:00 and turn down my amp input depending on the stage volume. Some bands are so loud it's hard to get a good tone with anything, or maybe I'm just too old Laughing

Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 8:52 am    

I use it in front of a furlong split. I have a tech 21 q-strip in front of it. I attenuate the signal level by 5 or 10 dBs set the Sarno gain at 1-3:00 p.m. which is magic. Then a little bit of EQ adjustment depending on the guitar. Sounds fabulous.

I've recently started using an origin Cali compact Deluxe compressor in front of the volume pedal doing a bit of mild compression. Sounds even more fabulous. It sort of emulates power tube compression / feel that I like.

I'm notoriously fickle, but this is currently my favorite setup.