The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best strings for C6 tuning?
J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2021 1:50 pm    

-----

I just bought an inexpensive little 6-string lap steel and need to know which strings are the best for C6 tuning? And can they be bought on Amazon? Very Happy

-----

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2021 2:25 pm    

On my six strings i use Labella C6 strings, GHS makes a set too, no idea about amazona.

J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2021 2:38 pm    

-----

I found these on Amazon and they get good reviews.... GHS Custom E7th- 6 Lap Steel Guitar Strings Gauges 15-38W - 2 Pack

Price is right for a 2-pack too.

Thanks for your suggestions. If somebody uses the GHS strings let me know if you like them.

------

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 May 2021 3:42 pm    

Why an E7 set for C6? They'll work, but the gauges are a bit different. I think amazon has both. I generally like GHS strings for steel guitar, but use them primarily for pedal steel.

I suggest you also check out the forum store for nonpedal strings - https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/non-pedal/?sort=alphaasc&mode=6&limit=100. b0b has a pretty wide variety of nonpedal strings, including GHS, John Pearse, and SIT. I just ran the shopping cart for a pair and it's not any more expensive buying them from the forum than from amazon. And you're supporting the forum that way.

When the gauges work, I personally like the SIT Scotty's semi-flat strings. Semi-flat means there's less drag/scraping of the bar along the strings, and sometimes that can be real nice, depending on the style being played. At the forum store - https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/scottys-c6th-6-string/

I sometimes use pre-packaged strings for nonpedal steel if I can find the gauges I want. But for nonpedal steels and slide guitar, that doesn't always work because I have a bunch of different guitars with different scale lengths and tunings, and pre-packaged sets are often not made in the gauges I want. So I also buy strings in bulk by the dozen per gauge in a wide variety of gauges like this - https://www.juststrings.com/guitarbulkstrings.html. Of course, they can't divulge the maker, but I have found them to be very good strings. I don't generally use juststrings unless I'm making a fairly large order - even the most basic shipping charge is a bit much for onesies or twosies.

J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2021 4:07 pm    

-----

I'm mainly playing Gospel songs and it's a short scale... 22 3/4...

Those Scotty's strings look pretty good and the price is normal. The size I needed instead of the 7 string is the GHS Custom C6th- 6 Lap Steel Guitar Strings Gauges 15-36W - 2 Pack. You saved me from a 'detail' mistake which I sure would have kicked myself for (not noticing the '7'). So thanks for that!

I think it'll probably be between Scotty's strings and Amazon's GHS's....

Thanks, guys! Smile

-----

J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2021 4:23 pm    

-----

Ended up getting two sets of these....

https://reverb.com/item/38715661-sit-scotty-s-non-pedal-lap-steel-c6th-6-string-set-sc6c6th

-----

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 30 May 2021 4:50 pm    

I agree with Mr. Mudgett. b0b sells sets of strings here on the forum store. I get them quickly and you get to support my favorite place on the internet! Very Happy

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 30 May 2021 5:57 pm    

I like to try all kinds. My latest came from strings by mail.com. They have all types, good prices and dealing with them was a good experience. Strings in various brands can also be bought here at the forum store. Id actually encourage trying some different types to determine your preferences. SIT hasnt let me down yet but Ive never broke a string on my lap steels though no matter the brand. Some have got dull sounding sooner than I liked but I dont even remember which brand it was.

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2021 6:45 pm    

I just ordered strings from the forum store a couple weeks ago, I was blown away with the great service and the price was good too. My first order but won’t be the last!

Rob DiStefano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2021 2:28 am    

I like Scotty's C6 or E7 for my 23" scale C6 tuning, plus they're ground wound for less "scritchy" sliding noises.

J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2021 7:52 am    

-----

I appreciate all the string opinions given here and they're fun to read. Keep them coming!

Now speaking of tunings... evidently the strings I ordered are best for the C6 tuning. But can they also be used for other tunings? And would the tablature look different?

🤓

Rob DiStefano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2021 7:56 am    

J Hill wrote:
-----

I appreciate all the string opinions given here and they're fun to read. Keep them coming!

Now speaking of tunings... evidently the strings I ordered are best for the C6 tuning. But can they also be used for other tunings? And would the tablature look different?

🤓

What matters most from the get-go is scale length.

For any given tuning, the shorter the scale length, the less tension to get to each string's proper pitch ... and vice-versa. So, big strings for short scale steels.

C6 with a 23" scale steel makes me like either 14 or 15 for the high E. But if I want to change that steel to a slack openD, even 56 to 16 gives me noodly bass side strings. This is a reason I'm making a 25-1/2" scale steel.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2021 9:32 am    

J Hill wrote:
-----
Ended up getting two sets of these....

https://reverb.com/item/38715661-sit-scotty-s-non-pedal-lap-steel-c6th-6-string-set-sc6c6th
-----

Good choice. I like the SIT semi flats as well. I also like that they make sets for several of the older tunings E7, E13, C6 and A6. The A6 set also converts nicely to C#min.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 4:02 am    

J Hill wrote:

Now speaking of tunings... evidently the strings I ordered are best for the C6 tuning. But can they also be used for other tunings?

Most definitely...standard C6 gauges adapt very well to a lot of different tunings. You can retune to A6, B11, C6/A7, GMaj7, C13, D9th and probably a lot of other ones I don't normally use.

Watching Alan Akaka describe and demonstrate a handful of different tunings (on the same guitar) here is a good place to start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G8qAmotF_c

Rob DiStefano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 4:43 am    

FWIW, the difference between Scotty's C6, A6, and E7 six string sets is ridiculously small.

My preference is to go with the extremely slightly heavier gauge, so I use the E7 set and avoid the too light E13 set.

C6 = 15, 18, 22, 24w, 30w, 36w

A6 = 15, 17, 22, 26w, 30w, 34w

E7 = 15, 18, 22, 30w, 34w, 38w

J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 1:15 pm    

You have all given me a lot of food for thought. I wish I had another lifetime to just learn all the theory/strings/particulars....

But this is a good start, and will also help others looking for their first strings as well! So keep sharing your most valuable opinions! Very Happy

Rob DiStefano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 1:52 pm    

With yer starter short scale lapper and a set of any of those Scotty's strings yer good to go.

Now get sliding and do enjoy! Cool Mr. Green

J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2021 3:19 pm    

Thanks Rob! I will do just that! Very Happy