The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A fretboard lit up by multicolor LEDs
Vic Chaney

Vallejo, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 10:20 am    

I made a fretboard, with stars and frets lit by multicolor red-green-blue LEDs. There are LEDs under the stars that mark the frets, and another for each fret going into side-emitting fiber optics. I have no problems seeing the neck in a darkened nightclub! I was inspired by Jim Palenscar’s steel with very tasteful LED roses on his fretboard. The photograph does not do justice to the rich colors of the lights in the stars or in the frets.

It is printed with a 3D printer. The body of the fretboard is black ABS plastic, there are bindings on the edges that are white, and a black cover is over the electronics. The stars are printed in clear CPE, which are glued into star-shaped holes in the fretboard. The whole thing is covered by a thin clear polycarbonate covering to protect it. The colors are controlled by a PIC microcontroller. It has 3 levels of brightness, and a fourth mode with colors constantly changing (nice to look at for the novelty, but not changing the colors is better for playing). I put it on my U12 Thomas pedal steel.

I did not make this with the intent to sell it, however I am willing to share my ideas and designs if anyone is interested. I made it a few years ago, and if I had to do it again, I would use a Teensy 3.2 microcontroller and Dot-Star LEDs, which would simplify the wiring and make the electronics more compact. I retrofitted my steel to all of this, but it would work well to have this incorporated into the design of a new steel, to better accommodate placement of the electronics and the thickness of the fretboard.

It is not a small project, although from the comments I get about it when I am out playing, it was worth the trouble. Making it involved 3D CAD design, aluminum welding, printed circuit board (PCB) design, soldering static-sensitive CMOS surface-mount chips, and microcontroller programming. I had to make a new neck, which involved cutting and welding aluminum. My old neck was 3/4-inch-thick aluminum, so I needed one that was 3/4” thick at the pickups and changer end, dropping down to ½” thick under the fretboard to give enough room for the new board under the strings. There is a cutout underneath the first few frets to put some of the electronic components under the fretboard. The design change mentioned above would eliminate the need for this cutout. Printed-circuit boards hold the electronics, using surface-mount components. Each little strip of LEDs under the stars has a skinny PCB holding the LEDs in the correct places under the fret. Each side-emitting fiber optic fret has a skinny strip of shiny aluminum tape under it to increase the brightness of the fret, and a 3D printed housing connecting each LED to the end of each fret’s fiber optic.

The whole thing was 3D printed in pieces, so that they would fit into my 3D printer. The pieces interlock with each other and are glued together. These pieces could also be printed through a 3D printing service.

Vic Chaney
www.chaneyproductions.com/vics-creations

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2021 8:06 am    

Love it...this is very cool Winking

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2021 8:51 am    

I saw you at the Clayton Club last week. Your fret board is very impressive. Great innovation for low light conditions too. It would be great to see this incorporated into new guitars.

Vic Chaney

Vallejo, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2021 10:47 pm    

Thank you for the nice comments.

Jim, I’d love it if you said hello if you see me there. Of course, my playing will get instantly worse knowing another steel player is there, but that would be made up for by meeting a fellow steel player. Smile I’ll be there Saturday.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 3:03 am    

That's way too cool! Miss hearing you play. Seeing other steel players is one of the things I miss here in Montana.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 6:21 am    

We have met before. Probably 5 or 6 years ago. You played with Tracy Juneman's band, Double Down, at Scout Hall on Bethel Island. I was playing guitar. Double Down will be at the Clayton Club this Sunday.

Jim Hussey

Reno, Nevada - USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 3:50 pm    

Heard the Clayton Club lost it's license and was closed. Glad to hear it's open again. Played there a few years back. It's a fun gig.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 3:58 pm     Bling!

Bling to the bone. Love it... Whoa! Very Happy
Like your web site too so I guess I'll need to see your youtube videos also.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.