The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fingernail picks
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 5:28 am    

I just noticed an ad for these on the Let's Talk Guild site. Might be an answer for those who play steel with bare fingers yet want a stronger attack.

Anybody tried 'em?

https://www.tiptonic.com/

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 6:38 pm    

I have not but those look interesting.

I would also suggest butterfly fingerpicks. Metal wires that wrap around your finger like picks and go right under your short fingernail. They are cheap on eBay or elsewhere probably.

I tried them on acoustic guitar-just a bit awkward but certainly give a bright loud metallic sound.

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 7:47 am    

Looks interesting... Finding the correct size (out of 450 sizes available) looks like a challenge. However, once one has found the correct size, reordering looks like a breeze.

Not cheap... but it is an interesting innovation that might be worth a look. The "sample packs" look like a good way to get a quick "hands-on" introduction.

A digital caliper micrometer would make the fingernail measurement issue a lot easier to deal with.

The angle of pick attack would be different than using the standard picks that most steelers use. I can imagine that once one became used to them, the fingernail picks might result in more expression.

The trial sample packs are $39.00. I will probably give them a try and write up the findings.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 11:20 am     Nail picks

Hey Dan,look forward to the report on picks.I looked at web site,awfully complicated.

Dan Ray

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 3:31 am    

I can vouch for these.

I had a great deal of trouble switching from my long fingernails to picks. I loved the muting technique/sound I was getting but the attack wasn't what it needed to be. (with my nails)

When I would try picks, I could no longer feel the string on the tip of my finger (so I became extremely inaccurate) and the sound that came from pick blocking was a loud clang. It was very frustrating. These 'open style' picks cleared it all up.

There was still a learning curve, but these helped A LOT.

C. Eric Banister

Scottsburg, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 6:15 am    

This guy has a pretty good walkthrough of the picks: https://youtu.be/PSZUD2DKWd4

I'm considering picking up the sample pack to try them out. I switch between guitar and steel in my band so I've been looking for a solution to having to remove/put on my picks between songs.

Also, to Dan's point, I used the picks he posted to help me transition to traditional finger picks because the lack of touch between finger and string was really throwing me off.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 6:47 am    

I use Propik Fingertone split wraps sometimes. Similar to the ones pictured above. I don't use them for steel...not a strong enough attack for my aggressive style of picking, however... I'm not much of a guitar player, but I like the feel of the strings fingerpicking certain things on standard six string.

The ones Chris linked to might be OK if they really fit on the nail like they show.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 8:43 am    

I bought an 8 pack of the picks Dan posted. The metal is a little stiff to adjust, but it can be done.
This pick is exactly what I was looking for...you can still feel the string with your "flesh" and get a good, solid hit on the string.

Dan Ray

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 9:49 am    

Tom Campbell wrote:
I bought an 8 pack of the picks Dan posted. The metal is a little stiff to adjust, but it can be done.
This pick is exactly what I was looking for...you can still feel the string with your "flesh" and get a good, solid hit on the string.

Nice! Yeah, a little stiff but once you get them fine tuned for each finger, you'll be pickin' with the best of em. Glad I could help