The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  JP Big Daddy Steel Bar
Larry Banks

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2021 12:43 pm    

What do you all think about the JP Big Daddy steel bar? I wonder if I will get better tone with the weight? I am using a Ernie Ball ... but want something like a ShoBud that I had in the past. Thoughts?

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2021 4:48 pm    

I'm not familiar with the JP but I have a boatload of bars, from 7/8 to 1 inch. Various weight and length. Some are powder coated, poly coated or chrome then stainless steel. 1st you need to get the length and weight right for your comfort. I find the 15/16th size best for me and a 3 3/8 length. It takes trial and error to get the right feel, tone and comfort you desire. Give it a try.

Larry Banks

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2021 6:27 pm     Bar

Thanks for your advice

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 May 2021 5:25 am    

JP is John Pearce. Just for clarification. I have no experience with their bars, but hear they are OK. I use a John Pearce thumb pick and love it. Tried John Pearce strings the last time I changed strings. They suck!

I believe JP bars are stainless. Might not be a good choice if you use stainless wound strings. Stainless on stainless creates a slight drag on the strings.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 May 2021 4:18 pm    

Tone would likely be unchanged, but you might notice some more sustain on the slow stuff. But if you're looking for a Sho~Bud sound, you probably don't want more sustain anyway. Some pros I've talked to over the years that switched from Sho~Bud to other guitars told me that their sustain really wasn't that great, and that was one of the reasons they switched. Personally, I've never played a guitar that didn't have enough sustain to suit me. Each to his own, I guess.

The closest I've heard to a Sho~Bud sound in a more modern guitar was the Fulawka. They just about have it nailed, IMHO. Winking

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2021 6:01 pm    

I bought two John Pearse "long john"bars off the forum store some years back.They are 15x16th diameter. I love em. Tenn.Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 May 2021 5:58 am    

Larry,John Pearce are my favorite stainless steel bars,I had a Big Daddy around here somewhere,I just bought another 7/8"John Pearce because I gave mine to a friend who is just starting his steel journey.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 28 May 2021 1:27 pm    

I have a Big Daddy and I like it. It sounds great, although it's a bit on the heavy side.

Dave

Len Ryder

Penticton B.C.
Post  Posted 28 May 2021 1:57 pm    

While I was playing in Hawaii Iin the early 60’s I had a steel made for my own wants, I had them use polished stainless steel 3 1/2” long. 1” inch thick and a 5/8 “ hole drilled 3” deep. I used that steel till I quit playing about 5 years ago.. No rust, nicks in all those years.

Larry Banks

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 2:19 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Tone would likely be unchanged, but you might notice some more sustain on the slow stuff. But if you're looking for a Sho~Bud sound, you probably don't want more sustain anyway. Some pros I've talked to over the years that switched from Sho~Bud to other guitars told me that their sustain really wasn't that great, and that was one of the reasons they switched. Personally, I've never played a guitar that didn't have enough sustain to suit me. Each to his own, I guess.

The closest I've heard to a Sho~Bud sound in a more modern guitar was the Fulawka. They just about have it nailed, IMHO. Winking

Thanks. Not looking for the Shobud sound. Their bar was a little bigger. I love my Deckley D 10 sound.

Larry Banks

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 2:20 pm    

David Ball wrote:
I have a Big Daddy and I like it. It sounds great, although it's a bit on the heavy side.

Dave

Just got my big daddy. Perfect and more sustain...

Larry Banks

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 2:22 pm    

David Ball wrote:

Dave

Yes it is heavier... but love the sound so far.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 4:07 pm    

Larry Banks, whatever feels right and works. Enjoy the new bar.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 5:45 pm    

I have one that I keep as a backup and for real slow, sustainy ballads. Slides as well as my BJS, pretty much. A LITTLE heavy, but not too bad. For the price, it can't be beat.

I may snag a Long John soon.

Larry Banks

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 8:00 pm    

Very Happy
Jim Fogarty wrote:
I have one that I keep as a backup and for real slow, sustainy ballads. Slides as well as my BJS, pretty much. A LITTLE heavy, but not too bad. For the price, it can't be beat.

I may snag a Long John soon.

Very Happy